Volunteer Related Question...Please Help!

Started by megi1212
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

megi1212

DPT89
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have 265 outpatient hours. Currently, I am volunteering at hospital in Acute Therapy and as of now I have 30 hours. Should I consider volunteering at different setting or continue putting more hours at the same hospital? I am also working as Rehab – Aide.


P.S. I am also planning to switch to Rehabilitation Department from Acute. Should I seek more hours at different setting or will it be okay to remain at the same place?

Thank You in advance! 🙂
 
Get a variety. Go to as many settings as possible and get at least 10 hours in each. Just remember some schools won't count one setting unless you have X amount of hours in said setting. Just depends on the school. For example I have 200 hrs in 8 different settings.... Outpatient, inpatient acute, inpatient ICU, inpatient cardiac unit, wound care, pediatrics, SNF, and aquatics. I'm about to get a few hours in neuro too before I submit my app. You'll really get to see a wide variety and exploring that many areas gives you a great idea of what all is involved in PT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@megi1212:

I agree with the above poster; one of the things that is important, particularly in an interview, is to articulate your experience with PT and how you came to be interested in the field. If you have good justification for an interest in one area, that's fine, but it needs to be well reasoned and based on experience or evidence.

Indiana University requires 20 hours inpatient and 20 hours outpatient, though applicants often have much more than this, and the familiarity with the PT profession shows in an interview.

Best wishes.

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
Indiana University School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]