1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Volunteer Vs. Work

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kronickm, Feb 21, 2007.

1. kronickm

kronickm even par.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let me set up the scenario for a sec.
    I am a non-traditional student in a post-bac program at drexel college of medicine. (was a philosophy major at a fairly prominent liberal arts college)

Since I graduated in 2004, I worked for the Red Cross as a phlebotomist at blood drives for a year and a half.

I have since moved to philadelphia for the post-bac program, and been working full-time at a major hospital (Thomas Jefferson Univ. Hosp.) as a tech in the blood donor center there. I screen blood donors, preform health histories, take physical findings, draw blood from donors, and preform first line processing of blood. I also preform therapeutic phlebotomies and apheresis (plasma exchanges, platelet/WBC depletions, collect Stem Cells for transplant) on both inpatients and outpatients with the hospital. I also regularly attend rounds and get a great deal of experience with pathologists, hematologists and oncologists.

Basically my question is this; I have a year left in my post-bac program, should I continue with this job, or do I need to volunteer? In other words, is it the health care experience that allo med schools are looking for or is it the fact that you volunteer? Unfortunatly with full-time job and part-time school I don't have time for volunteering and I am wondering if I need to make time.

Any insight would be great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...