Volunteer work at robotics competition = science or non-science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kestrel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a difficult time getting a non-science LoR. I've been a grad student in engineering for the last 8 years, took barely any humanities in undergrad, and have done mostly EMS squad related volunteer work (as an EMT and an instructor) in the last 4-5 years. I've been able to secure LoRs from my PI, my professor from my current bio class, and the medical director of my EMS squad.

The only other thing I've done is volunteer at a girls' high school teaching them how to build robots for the FIRST robotics competition. I can get a LoR, but is this non-science? On the one hand, I'm teaching engineering, but I'm teaching vs. doing, and engineering classes are apparently not science for AMCAS ;)

The only other option I really have is to take a humanities course this summer and squeeze out a LoR. The difficulty here is that the only classes that fit my work schedule are likely to be online instead of B&M, so I will probably not interact with the professor much.

Is there any other option I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a difficult time getting a non-science LoR. I've been a grad student in engineering for the last 8 years, took barely any humanities in undergrad, and have done mostly EMS squad related volunteer work (as an EMT and an instructor) in the last 4-5 years. I've been able to secure LoRs from my PI, my professor from my current bio class, and the medical director of my EMS squad.

The only other thing I've done is volunteer at a girls' high school teaching them how to build robots for the FIRST robotics competition. I can get a LoR, but is this non-science? On the one hand, I'm teaching engineering, but I'm teaching vs. doing, and engineering classes are apparently not science for AMCAS ;)

The only other option I really have is to take a humanities course this summer and squeeze out a LoR. The difficulty here is that the only classes that fit my work schedule are likely to be online instead of B&M, so I will probably not interact with the professor much.

Im not the adcomm, but it seems to me that the heart of the work is teaching kids. Yes, the subject matter is engineering, but your work is all about empathy and communication. This is non-science.

According to AMCAS, engineering is not science!!! Hard to believe, but that's the system. So a robotics professor (even though his doctorate is probably in physics) did not teach you science.

Members don't see this ad :)

For most US med schools you are going to need to have taken a year of English at some point along the road. If you haven't already done this, this is where you could get your non-sci LOR. FWIW, most of your LORs for med school ought to be either (1) academic or (2) from physicians (ie from shadowing/volunteering in healthcare, or from your research PI). I would only use a LOR from a volunteering gig like you are describing as an extra one on top of the required ones, not in lieu of one. Just my two cents.

According to AMCAS, engineering is not science!!! Hard to believe, but that's the system. So a robotics professor (even though his doctorate is probably in physics) did not teach you science.

Well, AMCAS may not deem engineering a science for purposes of calculating sci GPA, etc, but that doesn't mean the med school that is collecting LORs doesn't.

Well, AMCAS may not deem engineering a science for purposes of calculating sci GPA, etc, but that doesn't mean the med school that is collecting LORs doesn't.

Excellent point. Contact the schools where you have any question; an email generally suffices.