Volunteer work with your fraternity?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, May 15, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member

Pre-Medical
    Is anyone gonna include volunteer work they did in conjunction with their fraternity? I'm considering putting them especially the ones that I coordinated in particular.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. whoknows2012

Medical Student
    Being that there is limited space I would say make sure you put all of your more important volunteer/work/research experiences first, but if there is room I dont see why not. I had various positions in my fraternity and participated and coordinated some community service activities, and I anticipate that I am going to indicate this on my apps.

4. Riboflavin13

Medical Student
    I had many volunteer experiences and leadership experiences through my sorority. On the application, I just listed any sorority-related experience together under 1 of the 15 EC spaces.

5. the donkey

Pre-Medical
    ejay, if the volunteer work you did with your fraternity was important to you, i say definitely include it on your amcas. i would not , however, include it just for fluffage.

6. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality

Medical Student
    That would be a Yes.

do it

7. Weoh

Medical Student
    Absolutely put it in-- especially the ones that you coordinated. Volunteer work is still volunteer work even when it's done by a fraternity.

edit- Community beer pong is not considered volunteer work... well, maybe sometimes.

8. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I didn't include any one-time volunteer things like a Saturday roadside clean-up or soup kitchen work. I only really included serial things I did for multiple days like a Katrina clean up over spring break, that kind of thing.

But, as a poster above said, if it was something particularly meaningful to you, then put it down. Just know it's fair game to come up in an interview.

9. littlealex

littlealex little tiny alex

Resident [Any Field]
    I included all of the activities under 1 spot as well.