Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Volunteer Work?

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by janeybean, Nov 28, 2008.

1. janeybean

Non-Student
    Hello =]

Well, i was looking at records of the past volunteer work that i've done, and to say one thing, it's not a very long list...

So, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what type of volunteer work that I could do that would look good on college and medical school applications. I know i'm in high school, but I feel as if I should start becoming more serious about doing alot of volunteer work. Obviously, i'd like to try and do some work that'd be in relevance to the medical field, but any kind of work is fine i guess. =]

thanks in advance. =]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Anything you do in high school won't be admissable as an activity on your med school application unless you continue that activity into college. With that caveat, any volunteering in clinics or hospitals will be useful to you in the sense that you'll be able to write it down as something you did to bolster your application. Don't count on learning too much useful information, though. If you want to learn helath care stuff, get a job at one of the aforementioned places.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xnfs93hy

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Shadowing is also something to consider.

4. Docere

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As a lot of people in previous threads have said, shadowing is something to consider only when you're in college. You'll find it pretty hard to shadow any physician when you're under 18 years of age.

I'd recommend maybe volunteering at a hospice. As MilkManAl said, if you want it to be considered by med schools (and I suspect you would want it to be considered), plan to be there for a while. Volunteering at a hospice for a long time would show medical schools that you are aware of the "human" part of illness and strive to do what you can for emotional and psychological aspects of health. Hospices welcome people of all ages, though you have to be at least 16 to work with patients.

Look for some summer research programs. They offer stipends as well as hands-on practice of some of the most common research techniques (even though that's not volunteer work) xD

Generally, all hospitals take volunteers who are at least 16 years old. They basically do "boring" stuff like pass out books, sell popcorn, or man the gift shop. But I think if you stick it out into college, they begin to let you do things like shadow physicians or work specifically in a department, etc.

5. Local

Local Stop the Shananigans!i!i!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I "intern" at a hospital 6 hours every week. I get to see surgerys, and work in the Emergency Department. I think its awesome, and i learn a lot. I do a lot of stocking/cleaning, but i think its worth it. Most of the time im taking vitals in the Emergency department, but i get to interact with the patients, and follow the doctors around. Half of the other time im in the surgery department, and its just awesome. You get to see the surgerys and basically get an anatomy lesson. Go to your local hospital and see if you can do something similar. I haven't had any problems-heck they even offered me a job in the Emergency room when i get my emt-b certification this summer. Just go to the hospital and ask, they probably wont say no to free labor :)
    Be respectful though. Another kid doing it not only contaminated a sterile environment he disrespected the anesthesiology techs, and is no longer allowed in the hospital.

6. Blaquestar

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey Local
    I was wondering who did you talk to in your hospital to get an internship like that. I have been wanted to do an internship like that but I don't know who I should talk to. Also when you went to ask if you could do and internship did you come dressed up or in your regular jeans and a t-shirt wear? Thank you for your time!

7. KempDrumsalot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm curious about this as well. One of the hospitals I contacted won't even let people volunteer except during the summer months. Luckily, there are about 3-4 hospitals in my area. :laugh:

8. pressmom

pressmom Third year!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I'd say business casual (kakhis or gray pants) and a button up shirt would probably be appropriate if you're a dude. And try something other than sneakers on your feet. The important thing when you're younger is to look mature, and one of the easiest ways to do that is to look nice. No rips or holes, etc. When you're there, you're representing the hospital, and they want to put their best foot forward with patients. After you get the job/volunteer experience, ask about appropriate dress.

9. Local

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dont know the title of the person i talked to, but i can find out for you tomorrow. My highschool is actually the one who set it up. I get high school credit for it, and get to do it during school time. But basically i had to be approved to do it. I have a first responder certification, but i think your only required to have a bls certification, a simple American red cross certification would suffice i believe. When you go meet with the head of ___(ill tell you tomorrow) you have to dress professional(A polo, kakhis, and dress shoes should work), and i had to tell her why i would like intern there. It was a pretty simple process. I'll post the title of the person who you should contact. I'll try to speak with her tomorrow, and ask her how i would acquire this without the highschool as an intermediate.

10. KempDrumsalot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I actually will be out of high school when I'm going to volunteer. I will be going to college next fall though and would like to continue volunteering all year round.

11. Local

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, its just the human resources. Just call up the hospital ask to be transferred to the human resource center, and ask about the possibility of shadowing///interning in a department.

12. creativedentist

creativedentist The Tooth Fairy
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm doing the same thing right now. My high school has a program called the Mentorship Program, and you have a mentorship coordinator (you have to go to an interview, placement conference, etc). I also get high school credit for it. I've been shadowing an orthodontist for the past few months, and it's been amazing :)

13. alicepops

are you just intending to volunteer locally?

14. Docility

Docility SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Hospitals usually allow high school students (16+) to volunteer. :) They hold an orientation meeting/course prior to the commencement of the volunteer work (basically discussing hospital regulations, HIPAA laws, ect.) and they need proof that your vaccines are up to date. It was a pretty simple process for me to start volunteering when I was still in high school. :thumbup:

Another really exciting (and super fun) way to volunteer is to train to be an EMT/CNA. You get to interact with patients, take vital signs, record symptoms, etc. :)

#14 Docility, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  15. Local

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lies. Im doing the EMT-B thing, and have started taking my 12 hour shifts. It can be quite boring. Some shifts you can go without getting a single call, or you can be so busy its anything but fun. Its deffinitly interesting, but its not all fun. Though the Night shift is interesting, and plus you get to sleep. EMS Earn money sleeping :)

16. Docility

Docility SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Not lies! :rolleyes: It depends on the area you're in (i.e. urban vs. rural).

#16 Docility, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012