Volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldstar97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with LAC+USC CMV OR DEM program or the COPE Clinical Care Extender Internship? I'm debating about applying to these programs so I can gain some volunteer "hands-on" health care experience, earn the opportunity to shadow some physicians, and hopefully receive a strong letter of recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping someone had some information or advice to share on this topic...

Anyone had any experience with LAC+USC CMV OR DEM program or the COPE Clinical Care Extender Internship? I'm debating about applying to these programs so I can gain some volunteer "hands-on" health care experience, earn the opportunity to shadow some physicians, and hopefully receive a strong letter of recommendation.

My friends did the Newport Beach HOAG Clinical Care Extender Internship. It's just something that everyone does. It really doesn't help/hurt you. If you are truly involved with leadership-- you'll have plenty of opportunities to do so-- it will help significantly because you can talk about it at interviews and get good LORs possibly. If you just do what is expected then the effect is neutral. If you slack off (not do your hours, get cited for stuff, etc), then you'll have burned your bridges and wasted you very precious time. GPA + MCAT will get you the interview. Your LORs and ECs will get you accepted.

Shadow a MD and DO and get a strong LOR this will help you immensely throughout application. If you can talk about shadowing in a meaningful way, then you'll be fine.