Volunteering and interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmeout382100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im planning on applying for optometry school in 2019 and was wondering if anyone who's already been through the interview process could help me. I volunteered as a youth group leader for 3 years consistently but stopped this year (felt like I did all I could and felt it was time to leave) How in depth do they go about your volunteer experiences? Should I look for other places to continue more volunteering experiences? Im not sure if I don't volunteer anywhere else they will ask me why not and those 3 years weren't enough.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they want to see more experience in the field of optometry. I'd try to find volunteer work or shadowing or a job with an optometrist. The more the merrier. Having a lot of experience will only strengthen your application.

But your 3 years sounds good I don't think they'll nitpick on non-optometry related experiences.

I think they want to see more experience in the field of optometry. I'd try to find volunteer work or shadowing or a job with an optometrist. The more the merrier. Having a lot of experience will only strengthen your application.

But your 3 years sounds good I don't think they'll nitpick on non-optometry related experiences.

Oh ok thanks ! I work as an optometric tech now and idk if that counts as shadowing. For volunteering I thought they wanted you to have experience in other than the optometry field to show that you care about helping the community as a whole instead of only the field youre interested in. I will def try to expand though cause youre right it can only improve the application!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're headed in the right direction! I'm also an optometric tech but I spent my summer shadowing optometrists in different fields like pediatric optometry and then also an ophthalmologist. Working is definitely good experience because there's a lot of patient interaction, which helps shape your knowledge of the field but shadowing is slightly different because you get to be in the exam room this time and get to observe the actual exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're headed in the right direction! I'm also an optometric tech but I spent my summer shadowing optometrists in different fields like pediatric optometry and then also an ophthalmologist. Working is definitely good experience because there's a lot of patient interaction, which helps shape your knowledge of the field but shadowing is slightly different because you get to be in the exam room this time and get to observe the actual exam.

Thanks!! How often did you shadow? Im going to look into that but im not sure what is a suggested or recommended amount of time/days/hours?

I've been a tech for 2 years at a general family practice so I wanted to observe different variations of the field. I ended up shadowing two different optometrists specializing in pediatric optometry and low vision. I spent 2 days each at their practices because shadowing is basically the same thing each exam. I also shadowed an ophthalmologist for a day and that was really cool. Not something I want to pursue but it's a great experience.

I think don't think there's a set number of hours that you have to have but I'd recommend enough hours that allow you to grasp what their day-to-day schedule looks like. Each optometrist runs things a little differently and I think schools just want to know that you're aware of what the career entails.

Schools definitely look for experience in optometry. I shadowed at three different practices and also worked in a doctor's office for two years, which is where I learned that I wanted to pursue optometry. My interviewer was impressed by my leadership positions in undergrad organizations and also by the optometry experience I had. My grades were not top-of-the-class and I had an average OAT score, so if you are in a similar position, having a lot of experience, charity work, extracurricular activities that you've been dedicated to for a period of time, it will really boost their decision :)