Volunteering and working for the same organization?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I help run this volunteer organization. We recruit volunteers and hook them up with various sites around the city to do their volunteer work (tutoring). I started out, however, by volunteering for this organization, and only later did I come on as a paid employee. I still volunteer a few hours a week, but I also help manage the organization a few hours a week. It's sort of a weird situation, I'd say, and I'm wondering if med schools will think it's weird too. More importantly, I really want this to be one of my core "volunteer" ECs on my app, but am not sure how I would go about putting that on the application.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not that weird. I'd list it as paid employment, and in the description talk about the number of hours paid versus volunteer. Real doctors do things on a volunteer basis all the time - but you can bet they don't give away all their services gratis.

It's not that weird. I'd list it as paid employment, and in the description talk about the number of hours paid versus volunteer. Real doctors do things on a volunteer basis all the time - but you can bet they don't give away all their services gratis.

But it's not mainly paid employment--it's mainly volunteering. The paid part is only a small part of it, and I dont want that to compromise the volunteer aspect