Volunteering at First Choice School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuyukachoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a very small college in Boston that doesn't have anything in the way of an EMS/EMT service. MIT only takes their own students and BU doesn't even have a truck. I was thinking of going to volunteer at Brown, since they let you do one 12 hour shift every two weeks. I also have family there and can easily get back and forth. Do you think that volunteering for their EMS would make me stand out to them when I apply. I'm a Rhode Island resident if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a very good thing to have volunteering experience, so that will be a plus. However, this doesn't sound like something that will blow the adcoms away. They'll be glad to see you know what medicine is like (sorta), but it's not an automatic ticket or something. It'd be more important to have good stats coupled with volunteering.

If you do a search you'll see numerous threads on working as an EMT (or volunteering to do ride-alongs) as another extracurricular for AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies. I should probably clarify though. I know that EMS is just another EC, but I was wondering if I went out of my way to specifically help at one school if it would make me look better as an applicant, like I really loved the place so I wanted to spend time there.

Thank you for your replies. I should probably clarify though. I know that EMS is just another EC, but I was wondering if I went out of my way to specifically help at one school if it would make me look better as an applicant, like I really loved the place so I wanted to spend time there.

Can't hurt, but probably doesn't help, either...

It might help if the rest of your app is strong. I volunteered and worked at my top choice, but if you have other areas of your app lacking (my GPA was a fair bit below the average for the school) you won't get much love

i don't think you should waste your time. if you've already got clinical experience, you're probably already ok. brown won't take any more notice of you because you volunteered there.

i don't think you should waste your time. if you've already got clinical experience, you're probably already ok. brown won't take any more notice of you because you volunteered there.

what if the people there are also on the adcom committee?