1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Volunteering at First Choice School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Yuyukachoo, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Yuyukachoo

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I got a very small college in Boston that doesn't have anything in the way of an EMS/EMT service. MIT only takes their own students and BU doesn't even have a truck. I was thinking of going to volunteer at Brown, since they let you do one 12 hour shift every two weeks. I also have family there and can easily get back and forth. Do you think that volunteering for their EMS would make me stand out to them when I apply. I'm a Rhode Island resident if that makes a difference.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    It's a very good thing to have volunteering experience, so that will be a plus. However, this doesn't sound like something that will blow the adcoms away. They'll be glad to see you know what medicine is like (sorta), but it's not an automatic ticket or something. It'd be more important to have good stats coupled with volunteering.

4. If you do a search you'll see numerous threads on working as an EMT (or volunteering to do ride-alongs) as another extracurricular for AMCAS.

5. Yuyukachoo

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Thank you for your replies. I should probably clarify though. I know that EMS is just another EC, but I was wondering if I went out of my way to specifically help at one school if it would make me look better as an applicant, like I really loved the place so I wanted to spend time there.

6. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can't hurt, but probably doesn't help, either...

7. nogolfinsnow

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It might help if the rest of your app is strong. I volunteered and worked at my top choice, but if you have other areas of your app lacking (my GPA was a fair bit below the average for the school) you won't get much love

8. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
  9. ViolaGreene

2+ Year Member

i don't think you should waste your time. if you've already got clinical experience, you're probably already ok. brown won't take any more notice of you because you volunteered there.

10. HoboCommander

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    what if the people there are also on the adcom committee?