Volunteering at Physical Therapy Clinics

Started by chung2509
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chung2509

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did current applicants approach this? I did a websearch and did not come up with much. Did you randomly go into a clinic or hospital and ask to volunteer there? Is there only one supervisor that is always in charge of you or multiple ones?

thanks
 
A good place to start is with a hospital or hospital system, if you have one nearby . Most of them have their own volunteer coordinator or a volunteer coordination office that will place you in a clinic.

I am currently volunteering through two hospitals. Both of them had volunteer coordination offices that I contacted directly (found contact info via the hospitals website). I had to fill out an application to volunteer, and then they matched me with a placement based on my availability and what type of setting I wanted to be in. I also have 3 opportunities per year to be reassigned to another clinic, making it easy to see a variety of patients. They really make it very, very easy for you.

And as far as supervisors are concerned, it varies at each place. One of my placements has 2 coordinators and at least a dozen therapists each time I'm there. The other has one therapist and one aide, and that's it. Since I'm going through the volunteer office, there is a person there that is considered the supervisor of all the volunteers.
 
I've found listings in Craigs list in the medical section. I don't know where you live but in southern california there is an internship program for serious pre-health science people. It's a pain to get in though (an application with three essays and a group interview).
 
Well, I'd start by looking around hospitals in your area, then finding out the number to their physical therapy department. When I volunteered at a hospital, I just called them and they got me set up (UWMC in Seattle) right away.

If you're looking for outpatient clinics/nursing homes etc, you could always ask the therapists at the hospital where they would recommend.

But as far as I know, most physical therapy clinics have a volunteer coordinator, or if not, you could always just call and ask if they need volunteers 🙂