Volunteering/Community Service question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrocarKarin

WesternU 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking on CSU's webpage, and found this

"Why should I participate in extracurricular activities?
Since almost all animals treated by veterinarians have human owners with whom the DVM will have to communicate effectively, the profession seeks new members who are not only interested in animals, but who also enjoy a high level of contact with people. Social involvement is a behavioral indication of social interest and communicative skill. Involvement outside the classroom in activities such as clubs or in service organizations gives evidence of leadership ability, social skills, energy, motivation, enjoyment of social contact with other people, and a desire to serve the community. Typical examples of community service include working with youth in a Big Sister/Big Brother organization, pet visitations to nursing homes, raising money for charities, etc."

I belong to a schutzhund club that meets every week, but I don't think that'll cut it. Do they really want to see you volunteer for a non-profit? What volunteering have you done? The kinds of things I think would be pleasant (fostering for a rescue, working on hiking trails, volunteering for a shelter, habitat for humanity) seem like they would be kind of anti-social, and not quite demonstrate what the school's looking for. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I have >1000 hours volunteering as an EMT with a city ambulance. Although its really the only volunteering I have done that lasted more than a day.

Well, if you have you been involved in non-animal clubs? Even in high school? Were you in band? On sports? Etc? Were you the leader of anything?

I think you can demonstrate these qualities by emphasizing extracuricular activites- even if they aren't "volunteer" or "not profit" things.

Also, if you HAVEN'T participated in anything like that at all (I bet you have though), maybe you could note the human interaction side of your volunteer work. Surely you work with other volunteers? Do you ever speak with clients? Note it- maybe that'll do the trick.

My only other suggestion for showing that you're a well-socialized individual is to note any "customer relations" jobs you've had. For example, if you were a sales person you were a "retail associate and customer service agent". You know, BS to show that you can actually talk to people. Unless you really believe that you can't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had jobs that had me dealing directly with people - 5 years as a body piercer had me dealing one-on-one with clients all the time and explaining aftercare. My brief stint as a funeral director had me dealing directly with the bereaved.

I played in a metal band in highschool, and currently work as a manager/booking agent/web designer for a metal band.

I just figured that I'll be applying for the 2010 cycle, and that gives me time to accumulate experience that doesn't scream "freak."

If you're interested in volunteering at an animal shelter, don't necessarily assume you won't have a lot of social interaction--at the shelter I work at, the volunteers spend a lot of time interacting with and helping visitors/customers, answering questions (and we get some strange ones), taking animals out for people, and the like. Sure, there's foster care and dog walking too, but there could be a lot of customer service depending on how your local shelters are set up. I know I'm getting TONS of customer service experience working there--much more than I might have expected, but it's going to be very handy for the application process and beyond. As with most things, I suspect it also depends on what you get out of it and how effectively you can present what you've learned from the experience.

I've been a big sister mentor for a few years. It's really fun! And it actually came up in my interview, they really wanted to know more. One of my interviewers even offered to personally take my "little sis" on a tour of the school when she comes over. He gives good kid tours.

You can also volunteer to tutor children, help in schools, the time commitment can be quite flexible. I've also been a camp counselor for short special weekend camps.

Most college campuses have groups involved in community service. See if you have a Circle K. Ours is quite active and usually has several optional community service activities each month.

I'm not so sure it's non-profit that they're looking for, just that you get involved with your community in some way.

I've had jobs that had me dealing directly with people - 5 years as a body piercer had me dealing one-on-one with clients all the time and explaining aftercare. My brief stint as a funeral director had me dealing directly with the bereaved.

I played in a metal band in highschool, and currently work as a manager/booking agent/web designer for a metal band.

I just figured that I'll be applying for the 2010 cycle, and that gives me time to accumulate experience that doesn't scream "freak."

Hey, I don't think your experience screams "freak". With that background, I would actually be more curious about you and your motivations to apply to vet school. It's not often that somebody is a piercer AND and funeral director.

I second what LucyLoo said- those experiences are totally interesting!

Yeah they might give some close-minded people hesitation, but if portrayed as qualities which make you both unqiue and caring, I think you could really sell those experiences.

Funeral director? Not many people take that on, and you have to strike the delicate balance between compassion and business (um, hello- exactly like veterinary medicine! :D).

I'd buy what you're selling.

Most of my non-vet jobs have been in nursing homes. I spent 3 years working as an assistant on the Alzheimer's wing in college...really develop those people skills. Dealing with families and the residents...I have patience I never knew existed.

As far as volunteering, I volunteered with a non-profit cat rescue...I spent my Sundays speaking to the public about kitty adoption and over-population. I also was in the community concert band, volunteered at other non-profits through college...all for at least a year.

As soon as I hit college, I knew I needed to volunteer and have people skills as well as animal skills. So I did all I could in that 4 years and the year after that...basically I had (and still have) no life...haha. Plus, volunteering makes you feel good!

5 year volunteer at the largest marine mammal center in the world - lots of people and animal interactions - very fulfilling!

i currently am a volunteer with VET SOS, a mobile vet clinic in SF that provides free care to the pets of homeless people! it is really fun, and since i am an americorps member i do stuff like case management so there is a lot of contact with the clients outside of direct clinic/exam times. i even had someone call me because their dog got dog-napped!!!!

as for other extra-curriculars :scared: hahah do bar-hopping and going to watch my friends band play count??? (jk my friend and i were discussing today how hilarious it would be to including things like "clubbing" and "staying out all night" on our apps) ahem.:D

i currently am a volunteer with VET SOS, a mobile vet clinic in SF that provides free care to the pets of homeless people!

Do you by chance know where their funding comes from? It's something that I've thought about starting in my area after vet school.

LucyLoo--

I pm'd you with our funding info, since it was sort of long and rambly, if any one else has questions about VET SOS feel free to check out our website!!

http://www.vetsos.org

Or you can always pm me :cool: