1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Volunteering Hours

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Studoc28, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Studoc28

Hey all,

I know that most schools specify 100+ hours of shadowing to be given highest consideration, but how does it work for volunteering?

Has anyone seen specific hours or what type of volunteering is desired?

Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I want to go to there

Pre-Dental
    Only few schools require("recommend) good amount of hours of volunteering. Others don't put much weight on it.

4. Pro-Dentite19

Dental Student
    Although volunteer hours sound good in theory, most of the admission decision is based on your numbers, and then of course your interview.

5. CaliforniaDMD

2+ Year Member

Would research-heavy schools like UCSF, UCLA, Harvard, etc put much weight on volunteering hours? I mean, I did lots of volunteering in high school so I wanted a different experience in college so I went with research. By the time I apply, I'll have 4 years of research under my belt and very little volunteering (counting only from college onwards). I just wanted to know if devoting some time to volunteering would be beneficial or if I should focus on my research.

6. jlim1131

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Were your volunteer hours in something that you could talk about?
    I think the volunteer stuff would come up during an interview. Like if they asked you for more details in what you did, could you tell them more about it?

That's just my opinion. I would say because you've done 4 years of research, it's WAAAY more likely to come up than your volunteering :)

alumdent likes this.
  7. OSUkid

OSUkid Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Wow your so lucky, some of us cant even get research positions. Man I know this guy who has two research positions but he sucks in academics, he doesnt even do anything but still gets research experience for plugging some data in. Its because the man has "connections". I would love to do research in physiology, but noooooo
    Sorry for the rant lol.
    I wish schools had a more research orientated program for those interested.

8. predent_mathlete

Pre-Dental
    Is it really that competitive to find research positions in the States? At my university in Canada it's fairly easy to get research positions. I don't know anyone who wanted a position and didn't get one. Mind you, getting grants so you get paid is a totally different story.

(sorry for the off topic post OP)

9. jlim1131

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think this depends on what undergraduate institution you go attend. The big schools will generally have more opportunities for research. Of course smaller institutions will have less opportunities, generally.

I went to UNC Chapel Hill for undergrad (big state school) and if you were really, really interested, you could get a research position.

Hope this helps :)

predent_mathlete likes this.
  10. GinaS2K

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I received an interview from one of the schools with very little volunteering and a lot of research experience. However, since you already accumulated many hours of research from undergrad, it might be best to focus on volunteering to be more a "well-rounded" applicant.

11. OSUkid

OSUkid Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

I got to one of the biggest universities in the U.S., you can imagine when you try to find a research positions it becomes saturated with applications.

jlim1131 likes this.
  12. jlim1131

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Wow... I didn't really think about that... ^^;;;