Volunteering.. in a pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elleNY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about volunteering once a week in a pharmacy if you have another job that you cannot quit, or aren't willing to, while you fulfill you prereqs? I work 3 days a week as a cocktail waitress/bartender in NYC and make really good money (more than I would make in a regular job, working five days, with my BA) and I plan to cut it down to two days when I start my prereqs..

You all have horror stories about being employed by retail giants, which makes me somewhat apprehensive.. but down the block from my apt they have this independent chi-chi pharmacy, that carries a lot of high-end products (lotions, creams, makeup et cetera et cetera) which means high-end clientele, perhaps a better overall experience, and maybe even a discount ;-) I think this would be a great place to, perhaps, volunteer on Sundays?

I've noticed some of you think independent pharms might readily accept a volunteer, as opposed to a corporate chain which might be concerned with liabilities... So...final question.. to volunteer at the aforementioned pharmacy or at a hospital? I have Lenox Hill hospital five minutes from my house.. which is world reknowned, and I was thinking a LOR from a pharmacist here would be superior? anyway..YAY or NAY?

xox
Elle

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer at the hospital pharmacy since most hospitals have a volunteering program in place already. Independent pharmacies and corporate chain pharmacies are less likely to take you because, as you mentioned, you're a liability while volunteering there so you'd have to work as a pharmacy technician instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteer at the hospital pharmacy since most hospitals have a volunteering program in place already. Independent pharmacies and corporate chain pharmacies are less likely to take you because, as you mentioned, you're a liability while volunteering there so you'd have to work as a pharmacy technician instead.

ditto

But if for some reason you decide to work as a technician, you shouldn't be scared to apply to any retail store. Giant retail pharmacies get a bad rap on these forums, but to me it's all about perspective. I have my share of horror stories and angry patients, but I have had those types of experiences at every job I've worked at. I bet as a bartender you've dealt with some pretty unruly people. Its just part of the job.

Good point. But, I don't think retail chains let you drown your on-the-job stresses in a shot glass of Patron, like bars do. Not that *I* would ever do that ;-)

xo
ELLE

I was told from both Creighton and the University of Minnesota that volunteering in a pharmacy isn't the type of pharmacy experience they want. They want to see tech work experience. Didn't have time to read the first post all the way (just read the title) so forgive me if this is completely off topic!

Sorry if I am 'hijacking' this thread, but I am looking to apply to a 0-6 pharmacy school right out of high school and so what would be more beneficial in terms of an application; working at the pharmacy of a store (Walgreen's, CVS, etc.) or volunteering in the pharmacy department of a hospital?

Futhermore, I currently have 56 volunteer hours at this specific hospital already, though I was not working in a pharmacy related field. So it is better to continue volunteering or get a job?

Sorry if I am 'hijacking' this thread, but I am looking to apply to a 0-6 pharmacy school right out of high school and so what would be more beneficial in terms of an application; working at the pharmacy of a store (Walgreen's, CVS, etc.) or volunteering in the pharmacy department of a hospital?

Futhermore, I currently have 56 volunteer hours at this specific hospital already, though I was not working in a pharmacy related field. So it is better to continue volunteering or get a job?

There are a couple of admissions committee people who are posting here and one said that having a job is much better than volunteering. A job shows commitment to the profession apparently and will give you things to talk about in the interview.

Right now I'm volunteering in a pharmacy clinic on a military base and all I'm allowed to do is hand out the medications. It is super easy but I can't say I'm really gaining valuable pharmacy experience except for working on my people skills. I could work on that just as easily in a non-pharmacy job.

Come to think of it, I doubt I will be able to do either as I am taking 4 courses over the summer. But IMO I would think volunteering is better because you are dedicating your time and get nothing in return (pay) and so it is as you are taking time out of yor busy schedule to help a cause, knowing very well you will get no financial benefit.

Btw know any of the admission committee people off the top of your head?

Come to think of it, I doubt I will be able to do either as I am taking 4 courses over the summer. But IMO I would think volunteering is better because you are dedicating your time and get nothing in return (pay) and so it is as you are taking time out of yor busy schedule to help a cause, knowing very well you will get no financial benefit.

Btw know any of the admission committee people off the top of your head?

The adcom people are in this thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=614997

You can ask them questions there.

What do you guys think about volunteering once a week in a pharmacy if you have another job that you cannot quit, or aren't willing to, while you fulfill you prereqs? I work 3 days a week as a cocktail waitress/bartender in NYC and make really good money (more than I would make in a regular job, working five days, with my BA) and I plan to cut it down to two days when I start my prereqs..

You all have horror stories about being employed by retail giants, which makes me somewhat apprehensive.. but down the block from my apt they have this independent chi-chi pharmacy, that carries a lot of high-end products (lotions, creams, makeup et cetera et cetera) which means high-end clientele, perhaps a better overall experience, and maybe even a discount ;-) I think this would be a great place to, perhaps, volunteer on Sundays?

I've noticed some of you think independent pharms might readily accept a volunteer, as opposed to a corporate chain which might be concerned with liabilities... So...final question.. to volunteer at the aforementioned pharmacy or at a hospital? I have Lenox Hill hospital five minutes from my house.. which is world reknowned, and I was thinking a LOR from a pharmacist here would be superior? anyway..YAY or NAY?

xox
Elle

Thats what I did and I just got in. I volunteered twice a week (but once a week should be fine). Its the perfect thing for balancing grades because you aren't tied down by a work schedule.

Granted a tech position looks better but

3.8 GPA + pharmacy volunteer> 3.3 GPA + pharm tech (at least for getting into most schools) imo anyways

xox
Elle

This is exactly what I did. I too was working at a restaurant and making good money when I started volunteering because I didn't want to give up the job that was paying for my school. I eventually decided to settle for less money to work retail. Even the hospital I was volunteering at ended up hiring me (awesome money in hospital) so now i work retail as well as in the hospital i volunteered at. So if you can't give up the money i'd definitly try to volunteer. I'm not going to disagree with the admissions guy on here but as far as i'm concerned nothing shows dedication like working for free to gain more knowledge about the profession. And by the way next time i'm in new york you owe me a shot a patron.

I agree. I don't think you can go wrong with a schedule of:
- All sciences with labs
- Waitress/Bartend job which shows you can deal with a variety of people's crap and are willing to work hard. Mind you I worked M, TUES, WED, throughout college until 4:30am and then slept for three hours and went to class. Yikes.
- Volunteering at a pharmacy..working for FREE just to getting a better understanding of the job and to boost my application, of course.

I think I'll be okay.
Trailrider - Let me know when you will be in town. I gotcha!

elle

I agree. I don't think you can go wrong with a schedule of:
- All sciences with labs
- Waitress/Bartend job which shows you can deal with a variety of people's crap and are willing to work hard. Mind you I worked M, TUES, WED, throughout college until 4:30am and then slept for three hours and went to class. Yikes.
- Volunteering at a pharmacy..working for FREE just to getting a better understanding of the job and to boost my application, of course.

I think I'll be okay.
Trailrider - Let me know when you will be in town. I gotcha!

elle

Yeah the money is good and the people are fun but the job, for me, was not. I was actually a little apprehensive to get out of the business but it has been the best thing I've ever done. I settled for less pay at first but its really helped motivate me. Watch the movie 'Waiting' a few more times and think about moving on :) Its worth it. Btw with every post you owe me another shot! I hope you're keeping count.