Volunteering in a physically challenged program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this local hospital there is a program for the physically challenged and I really do enjoy it because it isn't like a typical hospital volunteering job, you get to interact with the people, help them if they need any, and do some chores like folding and cleaning equipment. But my question is, since this is sort of related to the medical field, would it look bad on a dental school application? Would it look like I was trying to get into med school and didn't so I went dentistry? Cuz that's definitely not the cause, I am 100% towards dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way I see your attempt at dental school being misconstrued as a backup plan to medical school is if you haven't shadowed much/at all. If you've spent the hours shadowing and are confident in your decision to pursue dental school, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to branch out and volunteer at a site that isn't strictly "dental related." Just because the work isn't in the dental field doesn't mean you won't be developing skills that will you'll use as a dentist. I don't know the details of the program you mentioned, but you'll probably have opportunities to communicate with other health professionals (physicians, nurses, PT, social workers, etc), and read about the wide array of medical conditions/medications that usually come with that population. It can be a difficult job and I guarantee your patience will be tested, but in the end working with that population, for me, has been incredibly rewarding.

The only way I see your attempt at dental school being misconstrued as a backup plan to medical school is if you haven't shadowed much/at all. If you've spent the hours shadowing and are confident in your decision to pursue dental school, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to branch out and volunteer at a site that isn't strictly "dental related." Just because the work isn't in the dental field doesn't mean you won't be developing skills that will you'll use as a dentist. I don't know the details of the program you mentioned, but you'll probably have opportunities to communicate with other health professionals (physicians, nurses, PT, social workers, etc), and read about the wide array of medical conditions/medications that usually come with that population. It can be a difficult job and I guarantee your patience will be tested, but in the end working with that population, for me, has been incredibly rewarding.

Yea I definitely plan on shadowing a lot. Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
At this local hospital there is a program for the physically challenged and I really do enjoy it because it isn't like a typical hospital volunteering job, you get to interact with the people, help them if they need any, and do some chores like folding and cleaning equipment. But my question is, since this is sort of related to the medical field, would it look bad on a dental school application? Would it look like I was trying to get into med school and didn't so I went dentistry? Cuz that's definitely not the cause, I am 100% towards dentistry.
This sounds more relevant to PT/OT; anyways, that's besides the point.

Do you really think the ds bureaucrats are that lopsided?

Haha yea I guess I am over thinking it lol.