Volunteering in Bombay and Bangalore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uvabme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm closing in on my third year at UVa doing biomedical engineering, and I just recently got word that my visa came through -- I was assuming it wasn't going to come through for a lot longer, but since it came, I've decide to go ahead and travel abroad. At this point, I've got no real solid plans as to what I could do with what I've learned, but I really would like to volunteer somewhere and take a MCAT course (I believe they're quite a bit cheaper out there, however I'm not sure how effective they are.)

Anyway, my question is basically about where a rising pre-med, biomedical engineering junior could volunteer in and around Bangalore or Bombay.

If there are other suggestions you might have about what someone in my position could do in India to bolster a medical school application, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question,
I volunteered back in Chennai, do I have to have proof or any thing as such to show to the adcom? I mean I have no proof?

Damnn this process sucks

uvabme said:
I'm closing in on my third year at UVa doing biomedical engineering, and I just recently got word that my visa came through -- I was assuming it wasn't going to come through for a lot longer, but since it came, I've decide to go ahead and travel abroad. At this point, I've got no real solid plans as to what I could do with what I've learned, but I really would like to volunteer somewhere and take a MCAT course (I believe they're quite a bit cheaper out there, however I'm not sure how effective they are.)

Anyway, my question is basically about where a rising pre-med, biomedical engineering junior could volunteer in and around Bangalore or Bombay.

If there are other suggestions you might have about what someone in my position could do in India to bolster a medical school application, I would love to hear it. Thanks!
There are plenty of hospitals in chennai and bombay that you could volunteer, just look around

Members don't see this ad :)
tik-tik-clock said:
I have a question,
I volunteered back in Chennai, do I have to have proof or any thing as such to show to the adcom? I mean I have no proof?

Damnn this process sucks
You could answer that question yourself, otherwise we all could say we volunteered at a million places.

When filling out the AMCAS, you will have to provide a contact info of whoever was supervising your activity (phone, address, and length of time you spent performing the activity).

tik-tik-clock said:
There are plenty of hospitals in chennai and bombay that you could volunteer, just look around

I've volunteered in hospitals in the US, and I'd imagine that kind of volunteering would be similair in India -- I'm trying to find a situation where I might actually be able to offer some sort of novel support, instead of the dreary work a hospital volunteer normally does.

I did find this program called Unite for Sight, but it's the only interesting volunteering program I've found as of yet.

Any other ideas?

uvabme said:
I've volunteered in hospitals in the US, and I'd imagine that kind of volunteering would be similair in India -- I'm trying to find a situation where I might actually be able to offer some sort of novel support, instead of the dreary work a hospital volunteer normally does.

I did find this program called Unite for Sight, but it's the only interesting volunteering program I've found as of yet.

Any other ideas?

I am trying to find something international. I know that volunteer work in the hospital within the US can be quite repetitive at times. I think that we all wish that we could do more......good luck!

How did you get such a position to begin with? I am looking for something that isn't too costly......and perhaps that even pays. I know that international paid internships are rare. Any input? I bet that you had an awesome experience!

uvabme said:

Any other ideas?

i don't know when they schedule these things, but try and work with rotary international when they do one of their pulse polio immunizations. That's when they try to immunize every kid in a large area (say S. India) on the same day. All you have to do is put drops of vaccine on the tongue of the kids. Very simple, one day activity, and sounds great that you were involved in trying to eradicate polio from India. I know residents who put this on their residency applications.