Volunteering vs Research

Started by verrager
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

verrager

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently enrolled in a SMP that is quite demanding and I only have minimal free time to improve my application beyond academics. I will be finishing the program in May 2020, and applying in June 2020. As such I was curious as to HOW I should spend what extra time I do have productively.

Graduated in Spring 2017 with BS in Microbiology
cGPA 3.26
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 517
HCE: 1000hr as an EMT
Shadowing: 50 hr ER/15hr primary care/5hr peds/5hr ortho
Volunteer: 0
1 Year undergrad research with two publications
LOR: 2 from DO, 1 from research professor, 1 from A&P I professor
 
Last edited:
Absolutely go for volunteering. Try to find an opportunity with the underserved in something you are interested in. I teach English as a second language to the large refugee community in my city and I love it. You should be able to look online and find opportunities near you.
 
100% volunteering. You’ve already acquired sufficient research experience and accolades to show for it but having zero volunteering hours is a huge red flag. Like @Cornfed101 said already, try to find volunteering opportunities serving the underserved so you can display your altruistic side to adcoms.