Volunteering vs. Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CancerCureAdmit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that both hospital volunteering and shadowing count for clinical experience, though I was wondering if people usually do both of these for medical school. It seems as if shadowing is more observational, while volunteering might be more hands-on. Cedars-Sinai has a independent student volunteer program which allows for students to pick an area of interest and serve under a mentor. It seems to be more in line with shadowing, and so is it really necessary to volunteer at the hospital in addition to this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most people shadow and volunteer. Unless you're providing a hospital free labor with absolutely no benefit to yourself, it's not clinical volunteering.

I'm guessing that both hospital volunteering and shadowing count for clinical experience, though I was wondering if people usually do both of these for medical school. It seems as if shadowing is more observational, while volunteering might be more hands-on. Cedars-Sinai has a independent student volunteer program which allows for students to pick an area of interest and serve under a mentor. It seems to be more in line with shadowing, and so is it really necessary to volunteer at the hospital in addition to this? Thanks.

Yes you still need to volunteer. Schools usually want to know whether you have actually been in contact and worked directly with patients. Shadowing is typically a passive observational experience, but it doesn't show that you can handle being in contact with patients, many of whom are in various vulnerable or unsanitary (smelly) states. They want to know that you're okay with getting your hands dirty, and that you can work well in a hospital environment, with hospital staff.

edit: wording

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone shadows. Volunteering is better for your app. Work is best. A mix of work and volunteering is ideal.

A wise SDNr used to say "If you can smell the patient, it's a clinical experience."

Definitely do both, adcoms want to see that you a) have had exposure to what it's like to be a physician b) you have dealt with patients, even in a small capacity and c) given time to help others. If you lack in any one of those fields, adcoms might give your application more scrutiny.