Volunteering ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jacobsen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear esteemed community members, physicians and future physicians (and not-future physicians). Im a 28 year old guy about to graduate from a central European medical school. Ive done USMLE 1 with really good score and I plan to do USMLE 2 CK and CS before I graduate in June. However, I feel that this lifestyle of going back and forth to the library and hospital the past 6 years is a bit dull and Id love to go abroad to places where healthcare virtually doesnt exist and help a bunch of people. I dont really have any practical experiences (just like everyone who just graduated)...

What opportunities do I have?

Have a really nice day

Sincerely

Dr (soon to be). Jacobsen

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like exactly what @Goro talks about, where people go on useless trips abroad that don’t actually help anyone in the long term, and just end up being a vacation.
You can’t expect to “help people” from small trips triggered by ADD. Sitting in a library and working in a hospital are the things that actually provide real help. Now, if you went abroad long term and worked there, then sure. But hopping from place to place “helping” isn’t actually doing anything, except making you look like the medical equivalent of Kipling’s “white man’s burden.”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Dear esteemed community members, physicians and future physicians (and not-future physicians). Im a 28 year old guy about to graduate from a central European medical school. Ive done USMLE 1 with really good score and I plan to do USMLE 2 CK and CS before I graduate in June. However, I feel that this lifestyle of going back and forth to the library and hospital the past 6 years is a bit dull and Id love to go abroad to places where healthcare virtually doesnt exist and help a bunch of people. I dont really have any practical experiences (just like everyone who just graduated)...

What opportunities do I have?

Have a really nice day

Sincerely

Dr (soon to be). Jacobsen
Refugee camps?