Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to do volunteering for a place that said the majority of the time I will be doing tasks involving making beds and compresses, and that only on slow days would I possibly get a chance to observe physical therapists?

Members don't see this ad.

what are you trying to get out of it? if it's just hours to write on a form then that's fine. letter of recommendation? possibly fine as well.
That said, you could get a job or volunteer somewhere where they let you watch them more or let you at least watch the techs help with exercises more. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Regardless of what youre doing while volunteering there, it still counts as observation hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Hours are hours, and in the end I am sure you are bound to get SOMETHING out of it, provided that you interact with the PTs and patients. I volunteered at an outpatient clinic where it seems that's all I did, but in the end, I did learn a few things. Until you find a place where you'd be more engaged, then go for it.

It's interesting because I am a pre med who will begin my clinical experience soon as a rehab aide to the physical, occupational and speech therapists at a children's therapy center.

I wouldn't think it that hard for you as an actual aspiring PT to get a more relevent clinical experience. I just kinda fell into mine after volunteering as a day camp counselor this summer at said therapy center. I fell in love with the kids (a lot of Autism and other such conditions) and couoldn't imagine not coming back. So, here I am.