VR Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoatBoy

Manboob Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what are good books to get to practice for the verbal reasoning section. I am looking for books besides the obvious Kaplan and Princeton Review books and AAMC tests (which I already have). From my experiences books such as Flowers and Silvers are way too easy compared to the real thing.

Also, if anybody could share their strategies for how they approach the Verbal section, eg. Do you just read the passage in full and then do the questions, read questions first then passage, etc. etc. etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Get the study guides for the GRE. The reading comprehension section is almost identical to that of the MCAT. Also guides for the other health professional exams (DAT, OAT, and VAT) can be helpful. Otherwise, just read a lot -- get your speed and comprehension up.

A med student from UCI suggested that I use the LSAT book to study...the comprehension practice tests seem pretty similar. Also, when I've tried to read questions prior to reading the passage I haven't had good resluts (i.e., hard to keep everything straight) however, when I've just read through the passages at a normal pace I've found that I can answer nearly all questions without having to go back. And if I do need to go back I've found it relatively easy to locate the idea in the text. It seems reasonable that different people have different capacities to compartmentalize and store info while also reading and storing other info. To me this is nearly impossible but if youre able to work that way it seems like it might be more efficient. I would try it different ways and see which is more effective and/or easy for your brain.