VR Help- when they ask about specific words...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the VR, some questions will ask for the meaning for a specific word. They usually highlight a word in italics and ask you to figure out the meaning from the context....these questions aren't very difficult, but what's hard for me is to find them words in the passages. I end up wasting a lot of time searching for these words and since there won't be a search function on the real test, i haven't been using the search function. anyone has any tips for this? for those who did well on VR, do you guys highlight words that you anticipate might be asked about? that's the best i could think of...if i read it and i'm like..."hmmm...i think they might ask about that" so i end up highlighting that word. sometimes i'm right, more often i'm not. any suggestions? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

On the VR, some questions will ask for the meaning for a specific word. They usually highlight a word in italics and ask you to figure out the meaning from the context....these questions aren't very difficult, but what's hard for me is to find them words in the passages. I end up wasting a lot of time searching for these words and since there won't be a search function on the real test, i haven't been using the search function. anyone has any tips for this? for those who did well on VR, do you guys highlight words that you anticipate might be asked about? that's the best i could think of...if i read it and i'm like..."hmmm...i think they might ask about that" so i end up highlighting that word. sometimes i'm right, more often i'm not. any suggestions? thanks!

Don't they usually give you the line # where the word is?

exactly...they did on the paper test, but not on the cbt. what i've come down to is this: glance over the questions real quick before you read to see if they ask a "vocabulary" question. OR if you see a word and you don't understand, highlight it in anticipation that they might ask. i think the first way works out better for me though. any of you guys have thoughts or ideas?