VR score stuck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArchieMoses

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol this is rediculous. my VR score has been 9 consistently on my past 4 CBTs (5,6,7,8). and with just over 2 weeks to go till the real thing, i'm getting kinda bummed. :(

I have the EK 101 Verbal passages book, and have only done 2 of the complete tests in there. Should i just bust through that book this week and try my luck again to at least break a 10? or just keep taking CBTs and other practice tests?

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep practicing and keep it at a 9 at the bare minimum, I was pretty much in the same boat you were in, I was in the 9 range with two weeks to go...I just kept doing practice problems and made an 11 on one of the verbal tests, so I quit doing scored verbal tests to keep my confidence level up...A 9 in VR will not hurt you if your science scores are good...

Yes. Keep practicing, you have 8 or 9 passages, take them all. Go over what you get wrong. I take notes on the kind of questions I get wrong, and review what I need to do better on the next practice test. Then I focus on those areas specifically the next time I take a practice test.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you guys go about going over VR...I mean I do try and examine question stem but how do you guys go about utilizing the answer choices?

Like I look for softners but often the EK answers are pretty extreme (without softners or exclusive like Author hates all brits etc.)

So just out of curiousity, other than going back and getting the main idea as well as attempt questions without the passage, how else can I improve?

I'm stuck at the 9-10 boundary too!

I recently came across EK MCAT:Audio Osmosis and it approaches the verbal section with some very easy skills that can help you increase your score easily and then working to complete the exam so you can get the easy one correct. It is short and to the point. I am also studying the GRE which has a different perspective on the verbal reasoning than the MCAT, no doubt, but it has useful information nonetheless.

Good luck.

the MOST important and worthwhile thing to do for improving verbal is practice and self-analysis of why you got things BOTH right AND wrong. then, concentrate on timing.