VSAS for IM subspecialties

Started by Espressso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Espressso

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it doesn't actually say "sub-internship" or "acting-internship" in the title, is it still a sub-i if you do a rotation in say, infectious disease through vsas? I assumed they all were sub-I's during the july-december time period but I'm seeing on vsas that a lot are not titled that.
 
If it doesn't actually say "sub-internship" or "acting-internship" in the title, is it still a sub-i if you do a rotation in say, infectious disease through vsas? I assumed they all were sub-I's during the july-december time period but I'm seeing on vsas that a lot are not titled that.
So a sub-i or a-i is only thru your 'home' program officially, however most aways where considered AI by my attendings while I was there. However, on VSAS it will just say internal med away etc.
 
So a sub-i or a-i is only thru your 'home' program officially, however most aways where considered AI by my attendings while I was there. However, on VSAS it will just say internal med away etc.

Ah, I see. Thank you. My school doesn't really have a "home" IM program. So that's out. So the vsas sub-i rotations listed are really only for students from their own school. That makes sense. The latter part was important, so assuming I do a 4 week ID rotation at a hospital that I'm really interested in their IM program, it would technically count as AI and I could theoretically get a letter and hopefully get an in with that program. Cool. I think it's easier to schedule directly with these non-vsas programs the more I think about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, I see. Thank you. My school doesn't really have a "home" IM program. So that's out. So the vsas sub-i rotations listed are really only for students from their own school. That makes sense. The latter part was important, so assuming I do a 4 week ID rotation at a hospital that I'm really interested in their IM program, it would technically count as AI and I could theoretically get a letter and hopefully get an in with that program. Cool. I think it's easier to schedule directly with these non-vsas programs the more I think about.
You can still apply to a sub i, but ehen its approved they will likely change the name.