VSAS withdraw applications/etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlwaysHaveAChoice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope this message post finds you well. I did a search on SDN and didn't find all the answers I thought were substantial so I decided to post it to this forum.

I received an away rotation offer and they're giving me a week to respond. However, this rotation isn't my top choice and I have now emailed the school that is my top choice to see what their timeline for accepting students are. I have a couple of choices.
1. I can accept this offer when this week runs out, and when/if my top choice responds, I can decline this school and accept my top choice.
2. Decline this offer and pray that my top choice responds.

My questions are:

1. It is clear that the better option from withdrawing is to do it before accepting. I'm going to try my best to hear back from my top choice before making a decision on this school, but ultimately, I would look out for myself and most likely accept this rotation if my top choice hasn't responded within the week. If withdrawing, what is the proper etiquette? Do I contact the VSAS coordinator by phone/email? The specialty coordinator by phone/email? I don't want to seem rude and I definitely don't want to hold this spot from other students.

2. How would you phrase withdrawing from this rotation given? How about "Thank you for offering the rotation and I am grateful for the opportunity. I have decided for this elective block to go in a direction that fits the timeline for my school and finances for transportation and housing. I hope to withdraw my application so that you have ample time to consider other applicants."

3. I have also applied to 1 other school in that same block, and it is under pending review. Withdrawing from a school you haven't heard back from, if I just withdraw on VSAS would that be enough? Should I also try to contact the program and properly deliver the news?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same questions! Would appreciate advice from people who have already been through this process as to what approach worked for them.

My biggest question: Does withdrawing an application for an away (because you got accepted somewhere else) affect your interviewing chances? I have read multiple things about canceling aways that you've previously scheduled, but not much about withdrawing an application before receiving a spot.

I'm in the same boat, but I suspect that it depends. Based on my experience with one site I think that one person at the site receives all of the applications then sends it to the various program coordinators. I think that when it's still pending host review that means that the first person hasn't seen it yet. Then when it's under review that means that the program coordinator is looking at it so at that point they might remember you. Of course it could be different for other sites. I think that we probably take this stuff way to seriously and that most of the time it doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that the schools know students' schedules change, A LOT, especially at the beginning of the year. They pretty much expect students to cancel/withdraw from rotations. The problem comes when you cancel the rotation too close to your expected start date. Many schools want at least a 1-month notice of your cancellation. It gives them time to fill the spot with someone else. Some schools even explicitly state that if you cancel a rotation with less than a month's notice, that you will not be invited to interview during application season. So if you're thinking of withdrawing, make sure you give the school ample time to find a replacement, or email that school specifically about their policies

I can't imagine withdrawing prior to a decision being made is a big deal.