VSAS how it works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few NYC schools were supposed to open in April sometime. I’m guessing that won’t happen. Idk where to apply now or what to do

Members don't see this ad.

VSAS still kicking. I applied to 3 programs yesterday that I hadn't seen before. Most places are aware of COVID and have a disclaimer, but best to be in line vs not be in line at all. I applied to one in the afternoon and had to make a decision the next morning to accept! My first confirmation through VSAS, woohoo!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have set up 1 audition in clinician nexus, 1 outpatient elective, a rejection from 1 audition I mentioned on VSAS, and multiple pending on clinician nexus and VSAS with some programs I want to apply to for 4th year not even open yet.

Why did you get rejected? I saw the criteria but what was it exactly? Just curious for myself.

Why did you get rejected? I saw the criteria but what was it exactly? Just curious for myself.

I don’t know. I got a reject email via VSAS from their coordinator that said something like you don’t meet our criteria at this time. What criteria they are referring to, I don’t know.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else annoyed that some schools have their own "host immunization form"?

I hope we can get away with our already filled out AAMC immunization form. No way i can go a doc now to get more forms filled.

Reactions: 2 users

I hope we can get away with our already filled out AAMC immunization form. No way i can go a doc now to get more forms filled.
I literally dealt with this an hour ago. I’m not going to the doctor lol

I literally dealt with this an hour ago. I’m not going to the doctor lol

Haha once I realized this was a thing for some places I just stopped applying to them. There isn’t any program I want to audition at so bad that I will go through that amount of trouble. Huge pain in the ass

Haha once I realized this was a thing for some places I just stopped applying to them. There isn’t any program I want to audition at so bad that I will go through that amount of trouble. Huge pain in the ass
There is one site that shall not be named that requires orientation modules that take at least 6-7 hours to do. And that's for me, a computer savy person. Almost not worth it.

I honestly don’t know what to expect. I didn’t even do the n95 mask fitting test. Been applying to the places that don’t require it. With covid and everything, i might get rejected everywhere :laugh:

I honestly don’t know what to expect. I didn’t even do the n95 mask fitting test. Been applying to the places that don’t require it. With covid and everything, i might get rejected everywhere :laugh:

I've been reaching out to programs about this cause the place my school told us to go stopped taking appointments 1 month before they pulled every med student in the country off of rotations & I never got to get mine done.

The ones I've heard back from said their own students are having problems with this as well & that if you get chosen, they'll just have you do it before your start date & it won't impact whether they choose you or not. One of the places I reached out to was a bigger academic institution too.

Anecdotal, but nice to know that some programs are taking these crazy circumstances into consideration.

I've been reaching out to programs about this cause the place my school told us to go stopped taking appointments 1 month before they pulled every med student in the country off of rotations & I never got to get mine done.

The ones I've heard back from said their own students are having problems with this as well & that if you get chosen, they'll just have you do it before your start date & it won't impact whether they choose you or not. One of the places I reached out to was a bigger academic institution too.

Anecdotal, but nice to know that some programs are taking these crazy circumstances into consideration.

That's a relief! How do you bypass it on VSAS though. Won't you have to upload something under the "N95 mask fitting test result" thing?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but figured it was good information to have: My school leadership passed along today that they believe away rotations will be canceled this year. They said that it will be a matter of equity, certain schools being in hotspots at different times and students from those schools would likely be prohibited, so the AAMC is talking about canceling all away rotations this year. They're likely to make an announcement next week.

Obviously don't let that change current plans, the worst that happens if this does occur is some money lost (cause LOL V$A$). I'm still sending some applications in just in case. But I thought this would be good information to have out there.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a relief! How do you bypass it on VSAS though. Won't you have to upload something under the "N95 mask fitting test result" thing?

That I am not sure of. The programs I spoke to just had the requirement of "AAMC immunization form being filled out" they didn't have a specific Fit Test requirement separate from this. But the test is on the immunization form.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but figured it was good information to have: My school leadership passed along today that they believe away rotations will be canceled this year. They said that it will be a matter of equity, certain schools being in hotspots at different times and students from those schools would likely be prohibited, so the AAMC is talking about canceling all away rotations this year. They're likely to make an announcement next week.

Obviously don't let that change current plans, the worst that happens if this does occur is some money lost (cause LOL V$A$). I'm still sending some applications in just in case. But I thought this would be good information to have out there.

This would be an insane blow to DO students if this were to occur. Most of us don't have home institutions and spend 4-5 months of 4th year doing aways so I sure hope this doesn't happen.

Damn. I hope that PDs are a little more loose on LORs or this will be a bloodbath for DOs/IMGs and even low tier MDs who don’t have the right home programs they need.

It’s gonna really suck to have worked this hard and get held back by this...

• Sad

Why would they say that since it's only going to cause panic? They would have to know something the other schools don't.

This would be an insane blow to DO students if this were to occur. Most of us don't have home institutions and spend 4-5 months of 4th year doing aways so I sure hope this doesn't happen.

Exactly, how would that be “equitable” if that’s the goal. Jesus we’re already missing out on some elective time and rotations, but now they’re trying to cancel 3/4 of 4th year?!

• Sad
Exactly, how would that be “equitable” if that’s the goal. Jesus we’re already missing out on some elective time and rotations, but now they’re trying to cancel 3/4 of 4th year?!
When good MD schools say equitable what they mean is for established MD schools. We aren't even on the radar of their thoughts/decisions.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
from 4th years above me, they've mentioned to get VSAS in as early as you can and to even cold call early-Jan to skip the VSAS situation if you can. I know plenty that scheduled auditions outside of VSAS and it worked out great
How does one approach a program in January to set up a rotation for 4th year? I have some programs that I'm interested in now.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does one approach a program in January to set up a rotation for 4th year? I have some programs that I'm interested in now.
My only successful away this year was scheduled outside VSAS. There was a part on the website for that and I just filled it out to apply. Infinitely better than VSAS and free. The programs that do this don’t always make it super clear. But most programs have something like a “medical students” section that tell you how to apply for a rotation or just general contact info for the program coordinator. You can easily just send an email saying “I’m so and so, a medical student at Xcom. I’m interested in rotating at your program. I was hoping you could give me some information about setting up a rotation at your facility.” It doesn’t always go through the program coordinator and sometimes there’s another administrative type that handles that. But they’ll forward that along to the appropriate person.

Hope that helps!

Ugh i remember posting in this thread. How VSAS works? It doesn't 95% of the time.

It'll take your money 100% of the time though.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
My only successful away this year was scheduled outside VSAS. There was a part on the website for that and I just filled it out to apply. Infinitely better than VSAS and free. The programs that do this don’t always make it super clear. But most programs have something like a “medical students” section that tell you how to apply for a rotation or just general contact info for the program coordinator. You can easily just send an email saying “I’m so and so, a medical student at Xcom. I’m interested in rotating at your program. I was hoping you could give me some information about setting up a rotation at your facility.” It doesn’t always go through the program coordinator and sometimes there’s another administrative type that handles that. But they’ll forward that along to the appropriate person.

Hope that helps!
Should I take that other poster's advice and message the program coordinator as early as January or February? I know right now which programs I'm interested in in my desired specialty and am hoping to spend the majority of my year doing rotations at one place in a state that my school doesn't have close connections with except for audition rotations, since I've read that that's apparently possible.

Should I take that other poster's advice and message the program coordinator as early as January or February? I know right now which programs I'm interested in in my desired specialty and am hoping to spend the majority of my year doing rotations at one place in a state that my school doesn't have close connections with except for audition rotations, since I've read that that's apparently possible.
Absolutely. There’s no rule about when to reach out. You could do it now if you want. I wouldn’t right now though just bc no one knows what they’re doing in 2021 bc of Covid. But Jan/Feb is usually when people get rolling on this. Some programs will even tell you what day they go live on VSAS.

I’m hoping things will open up, but I think the likelihood of anything opening up before next summer is super low. There are two programs I want to do research rotations with in radiology but I think its unlikely I’ll get them

Im trying to stay optimistic about these aways in 2021 with covid but its making me nervous. I had an elective/away set up in March at a place Im really interested in and they emailed me saying as of now all auditions are cancelled. This really sucks. I want academic IM and im a DO student so im trying to get letters from these places. Probably even worse for the ortho kids but overall this currently blows

• Sad
Hi guys!

Not too bad of a necrobump, but... has anyone run into problems with old titers? Was there anywhere you applied that wanted new ones, or were the ones you got when you entered med school good? My varicella and hep B are from 2018.

If there are even a few places that want current ones, I’ll happily get them redrawn... I’d just like to know sooner rather than later.

Oh... and how did you guys order your new background checks/UDS? I was just going to use CastleBranch because my school already used it so I have an account - but it wants a package code for a specific drug screen and the AAMC website doesn’t specify what codes residency programs want or anything like that. I’m really confused.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Not too bad of a necrobump, but... has anyone run into problems with old titers? Was there anywhere you applied that wanted new ones, or were the ones you got when you entered med school good? My varicella and hep B are from 2018.

If there are even a few places that want current ones, I’ll happily get them redrawn... I’d just like to know sooner rather than later.

Oh... and how did you guys order your new background checks/UDS? I was just going to use CastleBranch because my school already used it so I have an account - but it wants a package code for a specific drug screen and the AAMC website doesn’t specify what codes residency programs want or anything like that. I’m really confused.
No one cared about my titer dates (all 2017). My PPD, flu, physical, etc I kept up with.

Use code: N036dt (For drug test recheck)
Use code: NO36 (For Level 1 background recheck)

sorry it’s been too long I don’t remember if the second character is a “0” or “O” for each. I typed them here as I interpreted them from instructions but not sure what worked.

• Love
What do you guys think about the new AAMC guidelines limiting aways starting august 2021 to just one per student? If your school allows you to do more than 1 and you find electives via VSAS or clinician nexus that will take you, will residency programs hold that against you?

What do you guys think about the new AAMC guidelines limiting aways starting august 2021 to just one per student? If your school allows you to do more than 1 and you find electives via VSAS or clinician nexus that will take you, will residency programs hold that against you?
I think it’s a load of crap tbh.

I get it for people with opportunities, but I have zero electives allowed in my third year and my clinical site doesn’t have a radiology program. If I decide to go rads and want two academic rads letters, I’d have to do a minimum of two aways, and that’s if I manage to get letters from both programs. I don’t even think we have a single radiologist that takes students for a preceptor based rotation here.

Must be nice for the people that have every conceivable specialty with multiple teaching faculty to rotate with as their primary preceptor inside of their home program. My home clinical site only has EM and IM residencies, so anyone wanting anything else and needing academic letters is going to have to do multiple aways.

I think it’s a load of crap tbh.

I get it for people with opportunities, but I have zero electives allowed in my third year and my clinical site doesn’t have a radiology program. If I decide to go rads and want two academic rads letters, I’d have to do a minimum of two aways, and that’s if I manage to get letters from both programs. I don’t even think we have a single radiologist that takes students for a preceptor based rotation here.

Must be nice for the people that have every conceivable specialty with multiple teaching faculty to rotate with as their primary preceptor inside of their home program. My home clinical site only has EM and IM residencies, so anyone wanting anything else and needing academic letters is going to have to do multiple aways.
I'm sorry you guys are having trouble but I want to point out that rads does not want more than 1 radiology letter and it definitely doesn't *have* to be academic. Radiology prefers letters from clinical medicine like IM and GS. They want well rounded people who get good grades in other specialties so just get 1 rads letter and 2 clinical letters. Most rads letters are worthless anyways because a student can't demonstrate much of anything while on the rotation.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry you guys are having trouble but I want to point out that rads does not want more than 1 radiology letter and it definitely doesn't *have* to be academic. Radiology prefers letters from clinical medicine like IM and GS. They want well rounded people who get good grades in other specialties so just get 1 rads letter and 2 clinical letters. Most rads letters are worthless anyways because a student can't demonstrate much of anything while on the rotation.
That's what I have heard. I have locked down one IM letter, now to see if I can lock down a GS letter. Gonna try and get both a DR and IR letter.

That's what I have heard. I have locked down one IM letter, now to see if I can lock down a GS letter. Gonna try and get both a DR and IR letter.
Glad to hear you are making moves. You brought up another good point to talk about. An IR rotation allows a student to actually demonstrate qualities that make up good LOR material unlike a DR rotation, generally. Also, I should point out that one can apply to DR with their only rads letter being from IR! You just need to make it clear that you enjoyed the DR aspects of the rotation most and are actively pursuing DR so they know you understand what being a DR is like to avoid any confusion. I personally did just that to great effect.

Even with the new guideline of not applying until April 1st, will you all still start reaching out to programs now? Or wait until April?

Even with the new guideline of not applying until April 1st, will you all still start reaching out to programs now? Or wait until April?
I have reached out to a couple of programs and they basically told me "we will put out more info in March as no decision has been made yet." I'll still fill out my VSAS and just keep an eye on it.

I have reached out to a couple of programs and they basically told me "we will put out more info in March as no decision has been made yet." I'll still fill out my VSAS and just keep an eye on it.
Thanks! Has your school give you access to Vsas yet?

They have, but VSAS doesn't seem to have any rotations that I can apply for past this March.
The AAMC announcement said we can start applying for elective/away/audition rotations in April