W on college transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

temper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a W on my college transcript because I just didn't know when to give up (ie. taking Physics I, physics for majors). My college advisor told me that it would hurt my chances to getting into professional schools. How will this affect my chances at getting into a pharmacy school? I haven't taken my pre-med reqs yet, so I'm kind of afraid to see whether I'll do well there.

Members don't see this ad.

I really wouldn't worry about it. What's done is done. I think if you retake it and make an A, that the W won't be such a huge deal.

I have a W on my college transcript because I just didn't know when to give up (ie. taking Physics I, physics for majors). My college advisor told me that it would hurt my chances to getting into professional schools. How will this affect my chances at getting into a pharmacy school? I haven't taken my pre-med reqs yet, so I'm kind of afraid to see whether I'll do well there.

1 W won't kill you. I had 1 W and it didnt affect my admissions. Just be careful not to do too many because you will probably be questioned about it.

Members don't see this ad :)

yea.. a few Ws wont hurt. like the most i would recommend having is about 3 or 4 W. any more and it looks kinda odd. believe me, a W is the same as a low C/D or an F, so dont drop if you are getting a B. It counts against you to have too many.
dont worry about how you think u'll do in the science classes. if you worry now, you are setting urself up for failure. If you just work your butt off and do your best in the classes, you'll be fine. remember, few (3 or less) C's wont hurt you too much if you take and do a lot better in future science classes. If you have time, retake the classes you have Cs in so you can improve your gpa as the pharmacy schools take an avg of both grades.
I had about 10 or so units of C-'s and that pulled down my gpa quite a bit, but then i redid those classes and did even better in the future classes and i got into 2 schools thus far. so basically im telling you to kick butt in the classes before fearing the worst.

Thank you! That is really encouraging.

I had a zillion W's (well, maybe not a zillion, but a whole lot, maybe 15?) and I got into 2 out of 4 schools that I applied to. I wouldn't worry about 1 W.

Hi I have a similar question. I'm a mathematics major and i have a bunch of W's (3 or 4) but only in very difficult math classes. No W's in prepharm classes. How will this affect my chances?

I had an entire semester of W's, I did have a darn good explanation but I still got accepted. A W, is better than tanking a class and causing irreparable damage to your GPA in the form of D or an F. If you take it again and make sure you do well and get an A and there shouldn't be much harm.

I have about 3 W's on my transcript and am able to get into Pharm school. Most applications will give you a chance to explain what happened (whether you have had any academic difficulties) and so use that valuable opportunity wisely and always state what you learn from whatever the situation was that caused you to have Ws.

I had some W's on my transcript. Only one of them was due to a lack of success in a course. The others were due to schedule changes at work and my failure to prioritize school vs. work properly. These W's were in my first year of college, and I applied mid-way into my 4th. I was not questioned about this with Texas Tech, and got accepted on the first round. Although, my grades showed remarkable improvement and I had a nearly perfect GPA for the last 4 semesters of courses prior to applying, so that may have been explanation enough to the admissions staff. Best thing to do: ask the school(s) you are applying to.

I had a zillion W's (well, maybe not a zillion, but a whole lot, maybe 15?) and I got into 2 out of 4 schools that I applied to. I wouldn't worry about 1 W.

15? Wow! How'd you manage that? :eek: