What do (pharmacy) schools think of a W on a transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ma222

Reaction score
I’m currently in a biochemistry course that will not transfer as a required credit to the pharmacy school I want to attend. The one I needed to take, I switched out of last minute due to misinformation (lady on the phone at grad school told me it was OK- when it was in fact, not), now it’s too late to switch back. I found out the course I’m now in was indeed wrong at the interview last week, and it’s bugged me ever since. I found out I will have to take two semesters of biochemistry instead of one. Would dropping the course and taking the single semester class next semester, look bad, being that it will result in a W on my transcript? I don’t want to ask the school just yet, since they have neither accepted nor deferred me yet and I don’t want that to affect their decision. So, basically, how do W’s look on a transcript to grad schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m currently in a biochemistry course that will not transfer as a required credit to the pharmacy school I want to attend. The one I needed to take, I switched out of last minute due to misinformation (lady on the phone at grad school told me it was OK- when it was in fact, not), now it’s too late to switch back. I found out the course I’m now in was indeed wrong at the interview last week, and it’s bugged me ever since. I found out I will have to take two semesters of biochemistry instead of one. Would dropping the course and taking the single semester class next semester, look bad, being that it will result in a W on my transcript? I don’t want to ask the school just yet, since they have neither accepted nor deferred me yet and I don’t want that to affect their decision. So, basically, how do W’s look on a transcript to grad schools?

It's always better to "not" have a W on a transcript at all if you can avoid it. If you know you cannot take the required Biochemistry Course, why not just finish out the current course with a strong grade and use it as a refresher for the more necessitated material next semester? You'll thank yourself once you take medicinal chemistry in pharmacy school.

As for competitive reasons, are you set on this one program or multiple? Few pharmacy programs require Biochemistry (or even a year of calculus like some I remember) and would not care if you had a W. It is not as competitive as it used to be and casting a wide net will guarantee you a few interviews (assuming you have the average or just below average stats).

I'm not part of any admissions committee, but I did complete an academic rotation as part of my last year of pharmacy school. I recall assisting with interviews of prospective candidates and quirks like a "W" only matter if you are a noncompetitive candidate. A withdrawal of one course is trivial and as long as you have satisfactory grades, PCAT (if required), experience, money, and check all the other boxes, you will be fine. If you are noncompetitive, the mark on your transcript would just be another strike against you.

I've heard pharmacy has become less competitive these days, so even more so, I doubt this will be significant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Students with low 2's are getting into pharmacy school. You have nothing to worry about as long as you can get loans.

Reactions: 1 user
nobody cares about the W. It just means you withdrew and no grade was given.

You'd probably get waitlisted if anything and then once if they don't have enough seats to fill to get that cash flow, they'll give you a seat. Just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. Instead of focusing on the doctorate degree and average current salary, look into the job market first.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t want to ask the school just yet, since they have neither accepted nor deferred me yet and I don’t want that to affect their decision.

This is the part I think you should address. Why not just ask their admissions office in a professional way? Say you want to be sure you meet their requirements if you are accepted. That way there is no risk of them later questioning whether you will meet admission requirements if they check in and make you report the W on your transcript.

Not a damn thing.

They will accept you, take your money and leave you in a burden of debt in a pathetic job market. Do not do it!!!!!

The W stands for We still want your money!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
W = Why wait? Apply now!

APPLY NOW!
There are TONS of empty seats! You will PASS ALL YOUR CLASSES because if they fail you, they won't get your tuition money! APPLY NOW to be jobless like everyone else!

What are you waiting for? HURRY UP. Schools are already dropping all the requirements from past years. No more PCAT, no more interviews and no more pharmcas. Schools are so in need of your money, they are all lowering their expectations for the bottom of the barrel students. Professors need to feed their families with your loan money.

You too can be a doctor with $200,000 in loans and no job.