"W" on transcript and switching majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquatears

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am failing a class in my major (Phy Sci), and I talked to the professor today and he says there's nothing he can do for me. He says it's probably best if I drop the course (and get a "W" on my transcript) and retake it next year.

Problem is, the course is part of a sequence and this course won't be offered again until next spring. Which means I would have to stay in college at least an extra quarter.

If I want to graduate with the rest of my class, however, I can switch to a different science major - since some of the Phy Sci upper div classes I've taken can count for those requirements. I actually really dislike Phy Sci, and I haven't been doing well in most of the upper divs. I think I picked a wrong major for me, to be honest.

What are your thoughts? Would a "W" on an upper div major course look bad? Would schools think less of me for switching to a different major?

Members don't see this ad.

1) drop the course- receive the "W"
2) Switch majors, if you can. You already said you don't think that you chose the right major so why continue on?

you can have a "W" or two, just retake and do well. There's plenty of students who apply with more then one. You can also switch majors; that's not even a big deal. As long as your'e in a science major, and do well in the pre-req. courses, I'm sure the schools won't care.

I had 2 W's and switched majors (from one science to another).

Members don't see this ad :)
Switch to something you find interesting and want to learn. You should enjoy your time in college. Just make sure you are on top of your pre-reqs and show them you are competent in science.

I currently have 3 Ws from switching majors, etc.
You're not alone!