W on transcript because late payment summer class, how will this be perceived

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a summer course and paid for it in May (payment is by unit at my university). I am also doing research this summer so I recently enrolled in a course that would give me units for my research, but I was not aware that this would require additional payment nor given notice of this (I assumed research courses would not be assessed payment as it is P/F and enrollment is separate from normal courses).

I was just dropped from my original summer class for an outstanding balance on my account (from the research course) and a transcript notation was made. How will this affect an adcom's perception of my application (assuming I am able to re-enroll in the class)? Is there any way to get such a notation removed, if even justified?

EDIT: W was removed, thanks for the help all. Leaving this up in the hopes of helping future students in similar situations.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am taking a summer course and paid for it in May (payment is by unit at my university). I am also doing research this summer so I recently enrolled in a course that would give me units for my research, but I was not aware that this would require additional payment nor given notice of this (I assumed research courses would not be assessed payment as it is P/F and enrollment is separate from normal courses).

I was just dropped from my original summer class for an outstanding balance on my account (from the research course) and a transcript notation was made. How will this affect an adcom's perception of my application (assuming I am able to re-enroll in the class)? Is there any way to get such a notation removed, if even justified?
One W is unlikely to have negative repercussions on your consideration by med schools. You will have to explore whether removal of the W is allowed by your university policy and what the procedure would be to accomplish that. Start by looking for an on-line policy manual, or call the deans office and talk with someone there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I had 2 W's and still got in, you good.

Members don't see this ad :)
One W is unlikely to have negative repercussions on your consideration by med schools. You will have to explore whether removal of the W is allowed by your university policy and what the procedure would be to accomplish that. Start by looking for an on-line policy manual, or call the deans office and talk with someone there.

Do you think petitioning a removal (if possible) would be justified on my part? Although I accept that I failed to pay I was also not given notice of an outstanding balance before being dropped and I did originally pay for the class which was dropped?

Sorry. I am a little confused. Were you dropped from a
Pf research course. Or a different graded original course?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry. I am a little confused. Were you dropped from a
Pf research course. Or a different graded original course?

I was dropped from a different graded original course because that course was an "impacted" course which basically had an earlier payment deadline. I'm still enrolled in the P/F Research course.

Do you think petitioning a removal (if possible) would be justified on my part? Although I accept that I failed to pay I was also not given notice of an outstanding balance before being dropped and I did originally pay for the class which was dropped?
I think it will be worth the effort of talking to a Dean, giving your side of the situation, and getting an opinion on how to proceed.

Reactions: 1 user
Sdn prevailing wisdom is up to a couple of Ws has almost no bearing on applications. If you had an A with one week to go then the lost A might possibly bother me a little if I needed a GPA lift. Sounds like not worth
A major intervention based on what you've said. Nonetheless it is possible that a quick call or walkin to them might help

Last edited:
I had 2 W's and still got in, you good.
Sdn prevailing wisdom is up to a couple of Ws has almost no bearing on applications. If you had an A with one week to go then the lost A might possibly bother me a little if I needed a GPA lift. Sounds like not worth
A major intervention based on what you've said.

While I get what you're saying, if I am justified in seeking a removal of the drop notation then I absolutely want to remove it. While it is unlikely to significant harm me, I think it's fair to say a drop notation would warrant explanation and can only negatively impact me so it is worth the effort to remove it. I understand I was not technically wronged (IE clerical error), but I think I should have been given notice of additional balances added to my account by enrolling in a research Pass/Fail course which differs from normal class enrollment as it's not something I'd expect to be common knowledge.
I think it will be worth the effort of talking to a Dean, giving your side of the situation, and getting an opinion on how to proceed.
That's what I will do. Thank you!

Last edited: