W or C-?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lagnes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on retaking organic chemistry lab now (2nd semester senior) because after taking it in sophmore year (Fall) I got a C-. I heard many medical schools don't even consider your application after getting a C- in a required premedical course. I was wondering if I should petition to have the C- turned into a withdrawal (W) instead (I can do this because I had extenuating circumstances in my lab causing me to get a pretty bad grade, and the registrar office says I have a good chance of getting my grade turned to a W if i petition for it), Does this seem worth it, would medical schools rather see a W and take a few guesses why its there or would they consider a W sort of like an F and rather see the C-, and the improved grade after this semester?

Thanks

Edit: If I were to accept this would be my first W

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the W would help your gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am concerned about my GPA, but I was more worried about what medical schools would think during the selection process, would it hurt or help?

W unless you've got a ***tload of them already

A C- is generally considered low enough that it should be retaken. If this would be your first W, it won't make a difference and you're unlikely to be asked about it. If you have a lot of W's already you could consider keeping the C-, but you should probably retake the class anyway.

Yes if I were to accept this would be my first W.

If you can get it turned into a W, by all means do :thumbup:

Lots of people have a stay W here or there for various perfectly legitimate reasons. It shouldn't be a big deal, and if it helps your GPA I wouldn't think twice.

Definitely go for the W. They won't be able to tell it used to be a C-, right? It's much easier to explain a W than a C-. "I wasn't able to devote enough time to that class because of X, Y, Z, so I decided to drop and retake it."

W. If you have one or two (or maybe even a couple of more), hardly anyone will care or ask about it. I had one W, and no normal interviewer asked about it.