W or F on transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammd08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently in Physics. Which as of today, am failing VERY badly! I am considering withdrawling, but I am not sure how that would look on my transcript. The main reason I am considering it, is it will absolutely kill my GPA, since it is 5credit hours.
Should I take the F, or the W?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely withdraw rather than let an F show up on your transcript for a prereq class. A W or two on the transcript really isn't that bad for most schools. Now that you know what to expect in physics, hopefully you can do well on the retake, and get a tutor if needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I am going to talk to my teacher today and see if there is any hope...

I accidentally signed up for University Physics, not knowing it was calculus-based. I was barely holding a C after eight weeks. I withdrew, took College Physics the next semester, and did great. Nobody cared about the W. PTCAS allows you to "explain" anomalies. Use that section to explain what happened. Definitely don't take the F. That'll look much worse. A 'W' indicates life circumstances interfered with your studies. Withdraw, now.

Kevin

I accidentally signed up for University Physics, not knowing it was calculus-based. I was barely holding a C after eight weeks. I withdrew, took College Physics the next semester, and did great. Nobody cared about the W. PTCAS allows you to "explain" anomalies. Use that section to explain what happened. Definitely don't take the F. That'll look much worse. A 'W' indicates life circumstances interfered with your studies. Withdraw, now.

Kevin

Kevin makes a great point........make sure you sign up for the correct Physics. My undergrad univ. had several "tracks" that could be taken. The course description should explain more, check w/ the PT programs.....all you shoud need is a basic intro I and II w/ lab. WOW 5 credits? Try your local community college. Good Luck

If I received an F for one of my classes, but retook it with an A,
will the the F still affect my chances?

If I received an F for one of my classes, but retook it with an A,
will the the F still affect my chances?

I think that will highly depend on what class it is. If it is something completely unrelated to the the prerequisites, like history, I don't think it will matter as much, but if it was a prerequisite, it might have a greater impact. But also, if you have a good reason for getting the F, it might not affect your chances a lot. It all just depends. That F will still factor into your PTCAS GPAs so it will still bring down the overall and possibly the prerequisite GPA if it is a prerequisite class.

I want to offer a completely different prospective on taking a W or an F. I have no opinion on the matter, but I have heard of some admissions committees saying "would much rather see on the transcript a student that took an F and tried and then retook it later for an A rather than a student that took a W and gave up on trying at that moment."

Last edited: