WA State Creates Separate Physician Licensure Caste for IMGs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
1649647959920.png

Members don't see this ad.

I’m assuming this could be helpful for IMG that can scramble into a prelim but not residency. Probably beats being a lab assistant. Could be abusive.

IMGs can charge less because they typically have lower debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are essentially mid levels but way better given their education but won’t stay long

Wish this could be implemented in California. Definitely a good option for IMGs who don’t match but need to strengthen their application for subsequent cycles.

What is the reason for this law, and what does it mean for fully licensed non IMG physicians in the state? Why do IMGs need "clinical experience?" They already have it in their countries of origin, presumably.

What is the reason for this law, and what does it mean for fully licensed non IMG physicians in the state? Why do IMGs need "clinical experience?" They already have it in their countries of origin, presumably.
I wonder if it is to be able to "watch" them clinically before letting them practice to the full extend of their specialty.

I have always thought IMG's get such a raw deal. We act like our training is so much better than other countries, and I have to suspect that isn't close to true.

(At least in my experience being deployed in Afghanistan, the other Anesthesiologists from other countries were equally capable.)

It would be good to have a better system in place that let physicians move about to different countries. It would be great to be able to go be a physician in other countries for a short time.

I knew a cardiovascular surgeon from another country who didn't want to repeat his residency here, so he just did Internal Medicine. That poor guy.

Making physicians repeat a residency in order to practice that field here is ridiculous.