Waaaaay late LOR.. what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a dilemma here. I applied to three D.O. schools this year, after taking the August MCAT. I was a little late to begin with, and am still waiting for a D.O. LOR. I got the doctor to agree to write the letter, gave her the envelopes and all that stuff, but she's kind of taking her time getting it submitted. My apps are otherwise complete, just waiting on that letter. All the schools just ask for a letter from a physician or even a healthcare worker who knows my work. I'm an EMT, and have letters ready-to-go from an M.D. and the EMS coordinator of my hometown.

My question is this: should I blow off the D.O. LOR and just send in an M.D. LOR, or should I risk being even later in getting this process going? I'm worried about missing a slot due to rolling admissions. The schools I applied to (CCOM, DMU, KCOM) may or may not already be on their third or fourth batch of interviews.

I forgot to mention, my stats are as follows:
MCAT: 10V, 9PS, 11BS, P
GPA: 3.55, 3.35Sci
B.S. Computer Science, UIOWA
No Research
EMT-P, 1 year experience in the field
Military Service
Licensed Pilot

Any ideas?

HamOn

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by HamOnWholeWheat

My question is this: should I blow off the D.O. LOR and just send in an M.D. LOR, or should I risk being even later in getting this process going? I'm worried about missing a slot due to rolling admissions. The schools I applied to (CCOM, DMU, KCOM) may or may not already be on their third or fourth batch of interviews.

I would go ahead and have the MD LOR sent so the schools that accept an MD LOR in lieu of a DO LOR will process your app. Then light a <gentle> fire under the DO's ass to have that LOR sent.

Your stats are competive, so don't let a late LOR kill you during rolling admissions.

- Tae

P.S. I wanna make friends with the badger.

My LOR was from an MD and I got an interview with all the schools I applied to, including CCOM. IMO it is better to have a letter by someone who is interested in helping you and is on the ball than by someone who has the right letters after their name.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
my LOR just went out yesterday or today. Id give the doctor a week and if she doesn't have it ready, then tell her thank you for the offer, but I realized that they needed it fairly soon. Or something like that.

It's good to have DO LOR for your application to osteopathic school, KCOM and DMU do not require you must have a LOR from a DO to consider your application is completed. Just go ahead to send in your MD LOR and send in your DO LOR if she ever finishes it. Good luck.:)

Here is an idea. Instead of calling her to see if she has it done, write her a thank you note for all of her help. Guilt trips sometimes work.

Originally posted by deano
Here is an idea. Instead of calling her to see if she has it done, write her a thank you note for all of her help. Guilt trips sometimes work.

Yeah, but then she just might think she's off the hook and not send it in at all.

- Tae