WAG PTO changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
100% pay for 8 weeks.

Mothers who give birth also get 6 weeks at 100% pay under the short term disability plan (used to be 2 wks 100% then 4 wks 50%) then 8 weeks of parental leave.
So let me get this straight: if you’re guaranteed 24 hours/week, usually pick up another 8 hours (so you average 32 hours/week) and go on maternity leave, do you get 6-8 weeks of 100% pay at 24 hrs/week, 32 hrs/week or 40 hrs/week?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like they have updated all the changes and policies on MyHR now and it does say 8 weeks of full pay for parental leave starting in 2019
if you are referring to the FAQ document, it says the effective date is still to be determined and they are “targeting” first quarter 2019. Do not be surprised if this does not happen

So let me get this straight: if you’re guaranteed 24 hours/week, usually pick up another 8 hours (so you average 32 hours/week) and go on maternity leave, do you get 6-8 weeks of 100% pay at 24 hrs/week, 32 hrs/week or 40 hrs/week?
i am guessing they would base it on your 12-week or 52-week avg

Members don't see this ad :)
The FAQ says your 52 wk average must be 30 or more hrs/wk to be eligible for the short term disability plan or parental leave so you should be ok there. But it also says parental leave is 100% of BASE pay, which is 24 hrs/wk for you.

My prediction: Walgreens will close down the slow stores. That is why they want their pharmacists to use their PTO now so they don’t have to pay them later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
They cancelled the proposed 40 hour carry over limit, and changed it to 100% of your annual PTO plus 40 hours, effective from the first pay period in April 2020. So if you normally get 160 hours/yr you can accrue up to 200 hours and then you will not accrue anymore PTO.

The current policy in effect until March 2020 allows you to accrue up to 150% of your yearly allowance, so if your balance is over the 100%+40 hrs in Apr 2020 the extra amount will be moved to your Frozen Vacation Bank. However, you will still be at the new 100%+40 hr limit so you should use your PTO as soon as possible so that you can continue to accrue PTO.

My prediction: Walgreens will close down the slow stores. That is why they want their pharmacists to use their PTO now so they don’t have to pay them later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did I get this right?

They cancelled the proposed 40 hour carry over limit, and changed it to 100% of your annual PTO plus 40 hours, effective from the first pay period in April 2020. So if you normally get 160 hours/yr you can accrue up to 200 hours and then you will not accrue anymore PTO.

The current policy in effect until March 2020 allows you to accrue up to 150% of your yearly allowance, so if your balance is over the 100%+40 hrs in Apr 2020 the extra amount will be moved to your Frozen Vacation Bank. However, you will still be at the new 100%+40 hr limit so you should use your PTO as soon as possible so that you can continue to accrue PTO.
How new is this? I haven't heard this yet

How new is this? I haven't heard this yet

It just came down.

There are probably a ton of people upset that tried to use a bunch of their pto. Have a tech with 100s of hours that she was trying to get rid of before retiring.

Probably will just retire at this point. It gets paid after retirement I believe it said.
Did I get this right?
Not even close like usual

It just came down.

There are probably a ton of people upset that tried to use a bunch of their pto. Have a tech with 100s of hours that she was trying to get rid of before retiring.

Probably will just retire at this point. It gets paid after retirement I believe it said.

I am right.

ImageUploadedBySDN1563613098.533974.jpg

That was the plan from the start. You don't buy pharmacies right next to Walgreens and keep them open.

You should know that.

Let me ask you something, what does rite aid stores closing have anything to do with Walgreens employees and their pto?

Obviously Walgreens knows people will be let go or leave more and more over these coming years so they want as much pto used as possible.

For example, the massive hours cut they did in May. That was the reason, not closing pharmacies they just bought next to other Walgreens.

Last edited:
It just came down.

It's posted myHr or whatever it's called now. While i didn't mind taking lots of PTO, it still kinda irks me that they initiated a policy than abruptly make a change. Most likely there were many mangers and above with TONS of PTO and there's no way they were ever going to use them up (less the 40 hour carry over).