Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Wags featured in Odd News! : )
Started by sosoo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Do we think she got hydralazine instead of hydroxyzine?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we think she got hydralazine instead of hydroxyzine?
It looks that way. It's the main reason I like drugs to be brand generic on the shelves as opposed to alphabetic by name. We also don't know if the error occurred at data entry at production. It's a common error. Right up there with Metformin and Metformin ER and Glipizide and Glipizide ER
It looks that way. It's the main reason I like drugs to be brand generic on the shelves as opposed to alphabetic by name. We also don't know if the error occurred at data entry at production. It's a common error. Right up there with Metformin and Metformin ER and Glipizide and Glipizide ER
With accuracy scanning and pill image checks, I don't think that organization by brand name would have prevented this error. Those technologies are much more effective at preventing errors IMO. I would guess that the error originated at data entry and the pharmacist didn't notice the wrong drug name.
I would guess that the error originated at data entry and the pharmacist didn't notice the wrong drug name.
i think the pharmacist notice the drug name, thats why they both begin with an "H." ^6
I work as a ambulatory pharmacist in a clinic setting. I add indications to all my prescription I send out and I have most all of the providers on board with writing indications on every prescription to help eliminate errors and improve communication with dispensing pharmacies.
If you can explain the benefit to them, most providers are more than willing to try to adopt this practice.
If you can explain the benefit to them, most providers are more than willing to try to adopt this practice.
With accuracy scanning and pill image checks, I don't think that organization by brand name would have prevented this error. Those technologies are much more effective at preventing errors IMO. I would guess that the error originated at data entry and the pharmacist didn't notice the wrong drug name.
Could be. Don't know WAG's workflow. I do know it's a common error. That's why it's better to have higher paid better trained techs.
It looks that way. It's the main reason I like drugs to be brand generic on the shelves as opposed to alphabetic by name. We also don't know if the error occurred at data entry at production. It's a common error. Right up there with Metformin and Metformin ER and Glipizide and Glipizide ER
The most inefficient, illogical thing ever. You have to scan the freaking bottle before it lets you proceed these days, anyway, so it becomes irrelevant. Just put the drugs in order. Further, what are you going to do when I inevitably become emperor and outlaw brand names in pharmaceuticals?
I worked at a store that did alphabetical by brand name and hated it. Plus what about dura with multiple brand names? Just a nightmare. Maybe in a pharmacy that doesn't have accuracy scans it would be ok.
hydroxyzine/hydralazine is common. In fact, in the Walgreens system it requires a separate override in the RxSA TPR (01/6666).What are some other more common mistakes that you have seen in your experience?
clomiphene/clomipramine 50mg
Lotrimin/Lotrisone
loratadine/lovastatin 10mg
Frova/Femara 2.5mg
methadone/Metadate
amoxicillin/amox-clav
glipizide/glyburide
Could have been prevented at counseling just FYI. Of course I'm sure Walgreens doesn't have mandatory counseling on new prescriptions.
You're assuming the person picking it up was the patient. Or that the patient had any contact with the pharmacy.Could have been prevented at counseling just FYI. Of course I'm sure Walgreens doesn't have mandatory counseling on new prescriptions.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To prevent errors like this, E-scripts should be sent more often from the Dr's office. It makes much easier to type and READ obviously!!!
E-scripts have their own errors. The number of times I have received a rx with two directions is numerous.To prevent errors like this, E-scripts should be sent more often from the Dr's office. It makes much easier to type and READ obviously!!!
I worked at a store that did alphabetical by brand name and hated it. Plus what about dura with multiple brand names? Just a nightmare. Maybe in a pharmacy that doesn't have accuracy scans it would be ok.
Oh yes... I also worked at a place that did that and HATED it. Is verapamil under C or V? Lisinopril... Z or P? Warfarin was under J. Just... NO.
I'm guessing this was a Hydroxyzine/Hydralazine mixup?
i'm sure this is news to all of you, but when the pt walks in, they want it in 5 minutes
but if you make a mistake, get ready for all hell to break loose.
but if you make a mistake, get ready for all hell to break loose.
Could have been prevented at counseling just FYI. Of course I'm sure Walgreens doesn't have mandatory counseling on new prescriptions.
"Do you have any questions?"
"No my doctor told me everything."
Yep, counseling definitely could have caught that.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 576