Wait another year or apply & retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpus luteum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.6, 3.55 sGPA
MCAT: B11 V9 P11 =31Q

My MCAT score turned out well below the range I had been scoring in on my diags-- mid 30's w/ high of 41 on recent AAMC diag, 2 days before my real test. I dont know if it was a fluke or if I was nervous (probably both). What worries me most is the 9 on verbal.

I have 2 years research experience, good clinical experience, leadership, teaching, and 4 decent LOR.

My question is.. will I have a good shot if I apply in June, retake my MCAT in mid-July and send in my updated score in mid-August?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.6 from UC Berkeley, 3.55 sGPA
MCAT: B11 V9 P11 =31Q

My MCAT score turned out well below the range I had been scoring in on my diags-- mid 30's w/ high of 41 on recent AAMC diag, 2 days before my real test. I dont know if it was a fluke or if I was nervous (probably both). What worries me most is the 9 on verbal.

I have 2 years research experience, good clinical experience, leadership, teaching, and 4 decent LOR.

My question is.. will I have a good shot if I apply in June, retake my MCAT in mid-July and send in my updated score in mid-August?

Time wise I think you will be okay......

What are my chances of getting an acceptance somewhere in the US with my current stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Cat. But if I mark on AMCAS that I am re-taking the MCAT, will it be equivalent to submitting a late AMCAS? Will all schools set my app aside until the new score is in or will schools in the lower range begin offering me interviews?

There is no comforting generalization I can state that is true for all schools. Each is different. By retaking you run the risk of scoring lower, so logically most schools would wait for the score. But you'll get plenty of Secondaries regardless, because most schools don't screen before they get it back (and Secondary fees are a good money maker).

You could always wait to add the more selective schools until you know the second score. They'd get the entire application within a business day of being added. That way the more selective schools won't be buried on the bottom of the 'ignore for now' pile.

Am I required to mark on AMCAS that I am retaking the test? What I'm thinking is if I don't mark it, maybe they won't set aside my app with the "ignore for now" pile, and it also leaves me with the possibility of voiding my score if something goes wrong..

I'm sure someone here has experience with this. I suggest you post the question in the PreMed Allo Forum, titling it something like, "Any downside to not checking the planned MCAT retake box?"

If you did this, you dare not apply to the more-selective schools at that time, or you run the risk of a rejection for not meeting their cutoffs.

Bump..in almost the same EXACT position

I called some schools and asked them, UC Davis and Tulane actually said to go with the 31 early and not retake...others were ambiguous...I am still not sure what to do

Bump..in almost the same EXACT position

I called some schools and asked them, UC Davis and Tulane actually said to go with the 31 early and not retake...others were ambiguous...I am still not sure what to do

Duude I called Davis too but no one picked up and I didn't get a call back, so thanks for the tip about Davis and Tulane. From asking around it seems that people highly recommend just applying early and if you're sure you can get your score up a couple points then take it again later and send in the updated score when you get it. If you're not sure if you'll be taking the test again, don't mark on AMCAS that you'll be expecting a new score.

I was in a very similar situation last year (higher GPA, less ECs) and I received one OOS acceptance and one OOS wait-list of the ~15 schools I applied to. I was also contemplating waiting a year and re-taking the MCAT, but I decided to go ahead with applying.

I would not recommend trying to apply while studying for/retaking the MCAT. If you plan to retake the MCAT to give yourself a better chance at a California school, then I think it would be best to hold off on applying for a year. The application process is time-consuming and it would be difficult to turn your applications in early while studying for the MCAT.

Good luck.

I was in a very similar situation last year (higher GPA, less ECs) and I received one OOS acceptance and one OOS wait-list of the ~15 schools I applied to. I was also contemplating waiting a year and re-taking the MCAT, but I decided to go ahead with applying.

I would not recommend trying to apply while studying for/retaking the MCAT. If you plan to retake the MCAT to give yourself a better chance at a California school, then I think it would be best to hold off on applying for a year. The application process is time-consuming and it would be difficult to turn your applications in early while studying for the MCAT.

Good luck.

I already have most of my primary stuff together, and I think I will just see how much studying I can get done while working on secondaries. If I am pretty sure I can score a 33+ come July, then I'll take the MCAT and submit my new score.. if not, then I'll just apply with my current score and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice!

I am guessing once you make the cutoffs you are on a pretty level playing field with others, so I think we would have a shot @ less number heavy schools like davis, places like ucsd and ucsf might screen us out though with the 31