Wait another year or continue with my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad1234!

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if I should go ahead with my application or if I should wait to apply next year after I take the MCAT again? I haven't submitted my primaries either because I'm waiting on my letters of rec so I'm already late to the game.

My MCAT is a 504 (C/P: 128, C/R: 125, B/S: 127, P/S: 124).
My cGPA is 3.6 and my sGPA is 3.4. Undergraduate in Computer Science and Math.

I am URM male and first generation college student residing in Wisconsin.

Clinical experience:
- 300 hours volunteering at a Hospital
- 1000 hours scribing
- 100 hours volunteering at a free clinic
- 80 hours shadowing
- Week long medical missions trip to Mexico

Volunteering experience:
- 1700 hours Americorps
- 200 hours tutoring GED/high school students

Professional experience:
- 3 years working at a health care company
- 1 year working at a research lab

Ideally, I want to stay in the midwest and attend an allopathic institution so I am looking at UW, MCW, and the Twin Cities.

I know that with my stats, I might have the best chance of getting into MCW of the three. However my MCAT and GPA are still pretty low and with it being so late in the application cycle I think it should probably just wait to apply next year instead. Would it still hurt to apply this year to those 3 schools?

Also, the reason for MD vs DO is because I want to pursue a more competitive specialty like oncology and believe that I would have the best chance at an allopathic institution. Otherwise I would have no issues applying DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a note you don't have to have your LORs in to submit your primaries, just your transcripts.