Wait another year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Langone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've decided to pursue medicine after getting a nutritional science degree from the University of Connecticut last year. I've been finishing up the bio and orgo that I need at the harvard extension school with good grades (3.7 or so) But at the undergrad level I ended up with a 3.27 with an upward trend(3.73 last semester) with a science GPA around 3.2 or so. I have been working as a research tech at one of the areas best hospitals and I've been doing some shadowing there too. I am considering applying to all the "easier" allopathic schools in New england/NY/PE/NJ schools but I think Umass would be my best bet since I live in mass. The question is, what MCAT score would make it reasonable for me to apply to school this year, because otherwise I would just take another 6-8 classes over the next year and get around a 3.7 in them and apply next year. I do not plan to retake the MCAT because I plan on doing well since I have prepared extensively for it. Thanks for the help...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I've decided to pursue medicine after getting a nutritional science degree from the University of Connecticut last year. I've been finishing up the bio and orgo that I need at the harvard extension school with good grades (3.7 or so) But at the undergrad level I ended up with a 3.27 with an upward trend(3.73 last semester) with a science GPA around 3.2 or so. I have been working as a research tech at one of the areas best hospitals and I've been doing some shadowing there too. I am considering applying to all the "easier" allopathic schools in New england/NY/PE/NJ schools but I think Umass would be my best bet since I live in mass. The question is, what MCAT score would make it reasonable for me to apply to school this year, because otherwise I would just take another 6-8 classes over the next year and get around a 3.7 in them and apply next year. I do not plan to retake the MCAT because I plan on doing well since I have prepared extensively for it. Thanks for the help...

The average MCAT score for matriculants in 2005 (the latest year that we have numbers) is 30. The average UG GPA was 3.6. Your MCAT score does not and will not offset a poor GPA.

If you really feel that your UG GPA is putting you at significant disadvantage, then do the GPA "damage control" before you take the MCAT or else, get the highest MCAT that you can and apply. That overall GPA of 3.2 may knock you out of the running at any schools that do an automatic screen.

On the other hand, we on admissions committee, DO notice and give consideration to applicants who have an upward trend in GPA. Many folks apply and are able to gain acceptance after getting off to a slow start. If your BCMP total is high, other than at schools that automatically screen, you have a fighting chance if you don't tank the MCAT.

The answer is always to get the highest MCAT you can, but as long as you get a 30 or above, it should be fine. I don't know how old you are at this point, but I've found that the allopathic schools are not as receptive to non-trads as osteopathic schools, regardless of outstanding post-bac achievements. I'm not saying it's impossible, but just telling you where you have better chances as a first-time applicant. Good luck.