Wait for a letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckdgusdl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm basically all set except for one LOR, whose author keeps saying he will submit soon.
It is my most current letter and would be quite helpful. I know I can send in letters later but if it's just a few days, is it better to apply in a single package? I'd want the letter to be read because the author did say he will write me a good letter. I hear letters that arrive later sometimes don't get read.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless things have changed, the letters will be uploaded by the time they go thru your entire application. This is Derm, so the faculty will be going thru your entire application thoroughly before handing out interviews as the will whittle down to a group of 30 to 50. You'll also want to submit your app ASAP, as you'll be applying for transitionals and prelims who'll be handing out interviews like crazy.

Last year when I applied, many programs uploaded my application in the first several days after eras opened. However, since most interviews are not offered until much later: late October, November, I may wait to submit until it is complete (given its only a few days-1 week). I made a stupid typo in my contact phone # before I submitted and even though I changed it a few days later when I realized the mistake..most programs seem to just upload the application once..and I had to deal with programs mentioning my # was a digit short the entire season :/. Therefore, in your situation they may not see that additional letter if you initially submit without it.