Wait for grades or submit AMCAS early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sapphire7

Reaction score
Hi all,

My university is on the quarter system and final quarter grades will not be released until around June 7th or 8th. My current GPA is a 3.57, but if I wait for this quarter's grades to come out, I could get a 3.61. I'm worried that if I submit earlier, my GPA won't "look" as good to medical schools (the difference between 3.5 vs 3.6 at first glance since some schools don't round). However, if I wait another week before submitting AMCAS, I'm worried verification could take up to possibly 8 weeks and put my application verification around the end of July, especially with Covid slowing processing times.

Should I wait till grades come out to submit AMCAS with a 3.61 GPA or should I not risk the long verification time and submit ASAP?
If I do submit ASAP, is there a way to notify schools later on that my GPA increased?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

My university is on the quarter system and final quarter grades will not be released until around June 7th or 8th. My current GPA is a 3.57, but if I wait for this quarter's grades to come out, I could get a 3.61. I'm worried that if I submit earlier, my GPA won't "look" as good to medical schools (the difference between 3.5 vs 3.6 at first glance since some schools don't round). However, if I wait another week before submitting AMCAS, I'm worried verification could take up to possibly 8 weeks and put my application verification around the end of July, especially with Covid slowing processing times.

Should I wait till grades come out to submit AMCAS with a 3.61 GPA or should I not risk the long verification time and submit ASAP?
If I do submit ASAP, is there a way to notify schools later on that my GPA increased?

Thank you!!
You should wait, not because your GPA is going to increase by a whopping 0.04, but because schools will think you might be hiding something if they can't see them, because verification time doesn't usually go beyond one month, and because you're only talking about waiting an extra week at this point (assuming even if you submitted right after I post this comment, nothing is going to happen before Monday, 6/1. The odds are high you'll be verified and transmitted by 7/10 even if you wait until 6/8, but even if it takes another week or two past that date, it won't make a bit of difference in your results.

Reactions: 1 user