Wait for Summer Grades in August before submitting Secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetsFan96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm retaking a pre-req course that I did poorly in last semester this summer (dealt with some chronic health struggles that led to a rough semester overall, but salvaged it with some of my other courses).

The course ends on Aug 5th, so I'll likely receive a grade, which I'm working towards an improved grade, by August 12th. If I receive secondaries around July 15th, should I wait until I receive this updated grade to submit about a month later rather than as soon as I finish answering the prompts?

I imagine I'll be explaining any concerns in GPA/MCAT-esque questions on my secondaries and I think having a better grade to explain the concerns rather than just give what could be considered an "excuse" would be more beneficial. Not sure if the delay is worth it, if I could send in an updated transcript at a later point anyways?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I was not complete at most schools until aug 19th and that was definitely an hurdle for many of the schools that receive over 6-7-8 thousand applications.

Hey guys, so I'm retaking a pre-req course that I did poorly in last semester this summer (dealt with some chronic health struggles that led to a rough semester overall, but salvaged it with some of my other courses).

The course ends on Aug 5th, so I'll likely receive a grade, which I'm working towards an improved grade, by August 12th. If I receive secondaries around July 15th, should I wait until I receive this updated grade to submit about a month later rather than as soon as I finish answering the prompts?

I imagine I'll be explaining any concerns in GPA/MCAT-esque questions on my secondaries and I think having a better grade to explain the concerns rather than just give what could be considered an "excuse" would be more beneficial. Not sure if the delay is worth it, if I could send in an updated transcript at a later point anyways?

Please let me know your thoughts!
Are you applying to AACOMAS, which allows new transcripts to be submitted at various times in the cycle? Or TMDSAS, where you can re-enter and change the college coursework section and submit new transcripts each term? Or AMCAS, which does not allow new grades earned to be added during the cycle, and where you'd need to update schools individually (where allowed)?

How low is the bad grade? What are your GPAs now? What is your MCAT score?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying to AACOMAS, which allows new transcripts to be submitted at various times in the cycle? Or TMDSAS, where you can re-enter and change the college coursework section and submit new transcripts each term? Or AMCAS, which does not allow new grades earned to be added during the cycle, and where you'd need to update schools individually (where allowed)?

How low is the bad grade? What are your GPAs now? What is your MCAT score?

I am applying to AMCAS- I'd have to update individually. Someone else mentioned that if I just submit secondaries quickly I could, "That way you get to submit your secondaries early, mention a reason for sub-par grades, show an improvement, and display additional interest in the school with an update."

I received a D in that course. 3.5 GPA, 3.3 SGPA, 515 MCAT.

I am applying to AMCAS- I'd have to update individually. Someone else mentioned that if I just submit secondaries quickly I could, "That way you get to submit your secondaries early, mention a reason for sub-par grades, show an improvement, and display additional interest in the school with an update."

I received a D in that course. 3.5 GPA, 3.3 SGPA, 515 MCAT.
In general, your best course of action would be to wait until the next cycle and apply early in June 2018 with a year of excellent recent grades and improved GPAs. Applying late with a small uptick to a downward trend or now with a GPA that won't be recalculated even if you get an A in the repeated OChem II class, are not the best courses of action. This advice would be moderated if you are a resident of a lucky state, like MO, AR, or MS, belong to a rare demographic, are ex-military or -Peace Corps, or have won olympic gold.

Also, all schools don't allow updates, and you aren't guaranteed to get a Secondary prompt that will allow for explanations.

I'm retaking a pre-req course that I did poorly in last semester this summer (dealt with some chronic health struggles that led to a rough semester overall . . .
A belated thought: If you had well-documented interactions with the medical establishment due to your health struggles, you might be a candidate for a retroactive withdrawal from the class where you earned the poor grade (depending on whether your school's policy allows for this option). Since you're on campus this summer, you might make an appointment with a dean to explore this possibility, armed, of course, with copies of your medical record and even possibly a letter from your doctor. Of course, such a petition might well take all summer, if it includes getting your transcript corrected, but your GPA situation would be much improved for a future application.