Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wait!? I don't understand my research project?!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LostLost, Jun 12, 2008.

1. LostLost

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So .. I did research with a grad student in analytic clay chemistry. I mainly ran experiments the way he told me to. I did good and produce enough data for a section of his doctoral dissertation. It was easy doing experiments but the problem is I don't really have a clue what the theoretical basis behind these experiments. Now I am suppose to write a description for AMCAS. I can kind of describe it in general terms but if this research ever got brought up in an interview, how would I explain? Any help?

#1 LostLost, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Concordia

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is probably a good time to talk to that grad student or his/her PI.

3. BoredMD

Medical Student
    Yup. :thumbup: Ask the grad student to briefly explain the main ideas behind the research so that you can put everything together and understand it more clearly.

4. 135892

135892 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What good does it do asking us this... we have absolutely no idea what your research project was about. You know who you should go talk to.

5. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You also don't have to include this. Sometimes its best to open cans that are going to spill out worms. If you're application is looking good besides this caveat you can probably get away without including it. If not, go talk to the student or research advisor.

6. I agree that if you're going to include this on your AMCAS app (and you likely will), talk to the grad student or PI and ask them to give you a brief explanation of the theory behind your labwork.