Wait!? I don't understand my research project?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostLost

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So .. I did research with a grad student in analytic clay chemistry. I mainly ran experiments the way he told me to. I did good and produce enough data for a section of his doctoral dissertation. It was easy doing experiments but the problem is I don't really have a clue what the theoretical basis behind these experiments. Now I am suppose to write a description for AMCAS. I can kind of describe it in general terms but if this research ever got brought up in an interview, how would I explain? Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is probably a good time to talk to that grad student or his/her PI.

This is probably a good time to talk to that grad student or his/her PI.

Yup. :thumbup: Ask the grad student to briefly explain the main ideas behind the research so that you can put everything together and understand it more clearly.

Members don't see this ad :)
So .. I did research with a grad student in analytic clay chemistry. I mainly ran experiments the way he told me to. I did good and produce enough data for a section of his doctoral dissertation. It was easy doing experiments but the problem is I don't really have a clue what the theoretical basis behind these experiments. Now I am suppose to write a description for AMCAS. I can kind of describe it in general terms but if this research ever got brought up in an interview, how would I explain? Any help?

What good does it do asking us this... we have absolutely no idea what your research project was about. You know who you should go talk to.

You also don't have to include this. Sometimes its best to open cans that are going to spill out worms. If you're application is looking good besides this caveat you can probably get away without including it. If not, go talk to the student or research advisor.

I agree that if you're going to include this on your AMCAS app (and you likely will), talk to the grad student or PI and ask them to give you a brief explanation of the theory behind your labwork.