Wait listed for interview at Marshall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTapplicant2016/17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email today from the Marshall University School of Physical Therapy that said this.....

"The Admissions Committee of Marshall University’s School of Physical Therapy has completed the review of your application for the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. Though you meet the minimum qualifications for admissions, due to the large number of highly qualified applicants, at this time the committee is unable to invite you to visit the school during the interview in January 2017.

Your name will be placed on a visit/interview waiting list. After receiving the preliminary response from applicants asked to come for interviews, if there are any open slots, we may contact you to invite you to one of the January sessions."

Has anyone from previous years of applying received this same email and actually been invited to an interview? I'm just wondering what the chances are of them actually having open slots and me getting to interview.

Any response is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I received the same email

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wait-listed last year and still got an interview invitation about 3 days before it was scheduled. I did not get accepted ultimately, but it was a good experience none the less. Don't give up hope

I received an email on Sunday for an interview scheduled for 1/3/17. I had a lower gpa because I was pre med for undergrad but I did well on the GRE so I'm thinking that saved my chances. Also I was in state so maybe that helped. If you dont mind me asking what are your guys stats like?

I received an email on Sunday for an interview scheduled for 1/3/17. I had a lower gpa because I was pre med for undergrad but I did well on the GRE so I'm thinking that saved my chances. Also I was in state so maybe that helped. If you dont mind me asking what are your guys stats like?

I was pre-med as well. I had a 3.22 overall GPA and a 3.47 Science pre-req and a 3.48 overall pre-req for Marshall. I scored a 315 overall on the GRE (162 Q and 153 V) and a 4.0 on the writing. I was wait-listed.

man thats rough I had a 3.4 and 314 overall and 5 W I cant believe you got waitlisted with a 315 that's crazy considering their avg is around 300. I'd retake some classes, or pick another school, you should def get in somewhere with a 315 Organic chem messed up my gpa pretty bad

man thats rough I had a 3.4 and 314 overall and 5 W I cant believe you got waitlisted with a 315 that's crazy considering their avg is around 300. I'd retake some classes, or pick another school, you should def get in somewhere with a 315 Organic chem messed up my gpa pretty bad
I've got two other interviews coming up, but being from Southern WV I really had hoped to have a chance with Marshall.

I just received an email inviting me to their interview after being waitlisted. Good luck all!

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an email inviting me to their interview after being waitlisted. Good luck all!
I had accepted an interview there originally but I decided not to go and canceled it on Friday. Maybe it freed up a spot! Good luck!

I was also waitlisted and just received an email inviting me for an interview. Does anyone know what their interview process is like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same email on November 27. Less than two weeks later on December 9 I received a follow up email with an invitation for an interview. With that being said, it may just depend on where your name falls on the waiting list as to whether or not you receive an interview invitation. The application process is crazy stressful, but stick with it. Best of luck!

I received the same email on November 27. Less than two weeks later on December 9 I received a follow up email with an invitation for an interview. With that being said, it may just depend on where your name falls on the waiting list as to whether or not you receive an interview invitation. The application process is crazy stressful, but stick with it. Best of luck!
If you wouldnt mind, What are your stats? I just want to know how close I could possibly be.

If you wouldnt mind, What are your stats? I just want to know how close I could possibly be.

Sure thing. I have a 3.54 overall GPA, a 3.37 pre-req for Marshall, and a lower end GRE score of 295 (151Q, 144V, 4.0A).

I also have a little over 200 observation hours from various types of clinics, and a little over 1,000 volunteer hours. I'm not sure if that aspect of my application helped me at all. I feel as though something on my application caught their eye considering my low GRE score. I hope that helps as some kind of comparison. Good luck!

I was also waitlisted and just received an email inviting me for an interview. Does anyone know what their interview process is like?

I am a first year at Marshall right now and I remember being in your guys shoes last year waiting to hear back from schools and stuff. It can be stressful but just don't give up!! The interview process last year was really laid back. There was a group interview of about 5-6 students with one of the faculty, which was mostly just getting to know you, seeing how you interact with others, like I said it was really laid back. Then after that there was a 1 on 1 interview with a member of the faculty where all they did was reviewed my application to let me know if I needed to submit anything else. That part literally would have been like 5 minutes and I would have been done. Luckily I had some questions prepared and I asked them to show the faculty member I was indeed interested. All of this being said, there is a new Department Head and things may change a bit this year with the interview process, but I don't think it will change much. There are a couple other threads on SDN talking about the interview process too. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am going to be there for one of the interview days this year as well just to help out.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a first year at Marshall right now and I remember being in your guys shoes last year waiting to hear back from schools and stuff. It can be stressful but just don't give up!! The interview process last year was really laid back. There was a group interview of about 5-6 students with one of the faculty, which was mostly just getting to know you, seeing how you interact with others, like I said it was really laid back. Then after that there was a 1 on 1 interview with a member of the faculty where all they did was reviewed my application to let me know if I needed to submit anything else. That part literally would have been like 5 minutes and I would have been done. Luckily I had some questions prepared and I asked them to show the faculty member I was indeed interested. All of this being said, there is a new Department Head and things may change a bit this year with the interview process, but I don't think it will change much. There are a couple other threads on SDN talking about the interview process too. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am going to be there for one of the interview days this year as well just to help out.

Thanks for the info! I'm curious how long the whole interview process takes; I just booked my flight out/back for a 9am interview on the 13th of January, but am concerned that I won't be able to leave on time to catch a flight out of Columbus. I'm hoping it doesn't last any more than 3 hours, tops...?

Thanks for the info! I'm curious how long the whole interview process takes; I just booked my flight out/back for a 9am interview on the 13th of January, but am concerned that I won't be able to leave on time to catch a flight out of Columbus. I'm hoping it doesn't last any more than 3 hours, tops...?

Last year my time was 9 o'clock and I was done at about 11. It for sure won't go past noon.

When did you get the email? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
I received the email on December 12th and had to rsvp by the 14th.
I have a 3.57 undergraduate GPA and a 3.30 prerequisite GPA. I have one retake though which took one of my prerequisite course grades from a D to an A so those GPA's are calculated by PTCAS with the D as well. But at marshall (for this cycle) they use the highest grade in GPA calculations if a course was repeated. So they recalculated my GPA with the A instead of the D so I am not sure exactly what my GPA is for them but obviously higher than what PTCAS calculated it to be.

Last year my time was 9 o'clock and I was done at about 11. It for sure won't go past noon.

Oops, sorry just saw this. Thank you! That makes me way less stressed.

To those of you who interviewed already: how'd it go? Any friendly advice?

Oops, sorry just saw this. Thank you! That makes me way less stressed.

To those of you who interviewed already: how'd it go? Any friendly advice?
I interviewed yesterday and it was almost exactly like bballbit explained. My interview was at 1:00 and I was done at exactly 4:00. You go in, sit down and the faculty members mingle around and introduce themselves to you, which is nice. They talk and joke with you and make you feel really comfortable being there. Then there is a presentation giving program information. Then the group interview.
My group interview had myself and three other students in it and one faculty member. But it didnt even seem like an interview because they didn't ask us any questions. The professor just talked and then let us ask him stuff and from there is was just like a conversation between all of us. So it was super laid back. Then we went on the tour. Then filled out paperwork while waiting for a different faculty member to call our name to meet with them individually in their office. In the individual interview they just look over your file to see if you need to take anymore classes then they let you ask more questions and it's just a conversation between you two. And that's it. Current students give you the tour and they were really friendly and helpful with answering questions.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed yesterday and it was almost exactly like bballbit explained. My interview was at 1:00 and I was done at exactly 4:00. You go in, sit down and the faculty members mingle around and introduce themselves to you, which is nice. They talk and joke with you and make you feel really comfortable being there. Then there is a presentation giving program information. Then the group interview.
My group interview had myself and three other students in it and one faculty member. But it didnt even seem like an interview because they didn't ask us any questions. The professor just talked and then let us ask him stuff and from there is was just like a conversation between all of us. So it was super laid back. Then we went on the tour. Then filled out paperwork while waiting for a different faculty member to call our name to meet with them individually in their office. In the individual interview they just look over your file to see if you need to take anymore classes then they let you ask more questions and it's just a conversation between you two. And that's it. Current students give you the tour and they were really friendly and helpful with answering questions.

Did they say when everyone will be notified?

My interview was exactly like this too. It didn't even feel like an interview. It felt more like only an information session. When I was in my individual interview, the person said they make most of their decisions on GPA/GRE and they don't really look at anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, everyone, for your information on the interview process! I fly out on Thursday and interview Friday morning, so I'm more excited than nervous after reading all of your replies. @ash5321 that's kind of annoying that they told you that; why even have interviews if they have no bearing on someone's acceptance? Hopefully that person was misinformed?

Thanks, everyone, for your information on the interview process! I fly out on Thursday and interview Friday morning, so I'm more excited than nervous after reading all of your replies. @ash5321 that's kind of annoying that they told you that; why even have interviews if they have no bearing on someone's acceptance? Hopefully that person was misinformed?

It should be something really exciting! Don't be nervous, come in with questions and have a good time. The interview last year I felt was very similar to how it is this year. Its a good opportunity to get a good feel of what the program is like and how it is ran. I will be there on Friday when you come to interview to give a tour and help answer questions and so on. Let me know if you have any questions before then!

Reactions: 1 users
My interview was exactly like this too. It didn't even feel like an interview. It felt more like only an information session. When I was in my individual interview, the person said they make most of their decisions on GPA/GRE and they don't really look at anything else.

My interviewer said the same thing.

Did anyone find out about the admissions decision yet? I got put on the alternate list :( trying to stay positive...

Did anyone find out about the admissions decision yet? I got put on the alternate list :( trying to stay positive...
I got an email last night as well! I'm an alternate too!

I interviewed on January 3rd and I'm also on the alternate list.

I interviewed on the 3rd and was accepted. I was accepted into WVU too and am waiting for them to see if my reclassification for in-state tuition has been approved or declined. If approved, I will most likely decline at Marshall. Best of luck! You should hear back in 7 days because that is how long they gave us to make a statement.

I interviewed on the 3rd and was accepted. I was accepted into WVU too and am waiting for them to see if my reclassification for in-state tuition has been approved or declined. If approved, I will most likely decline at Marshall. Best of luck! You should hear back in 7 days because that is how long they gave us to make a statement.
Did you get accepted last night?

I'm on the alternate list also and I was on the wait list for an interview. Did they say at the interview how many people are usually on the alternate list?

I'm on the alternate list also and I was on the wait list for an interview. Did they say at the interview how many people are usually on the alternate list?

They said about 120 interview and 40 seats are there, so i'd say almost everyone that interviewed will get acceptance at some point as people give up seats to go to other places.

Well, glad I'm not the only one lol. Yes, I was originally wait listed for an interview as well, and interviewed on the 13th of January. Do you have anywhere else you're waiting to hear back from, @ash5321 @kyPThopeful @DPTapplicant2016/17 ??

I was also waitlisted for an interview and put on the alternative list.

Well, glad I'm not the only one lol. Yes, I was originally wait listed for an interview as well, and interviewed on the 13th of January. Do you have anywhere else you're waiting to hear back from, @ash5321 @kyPThopeful @DPTapplicant2016/17 ??

Yeah I'm waiting to hear back from two schools. I have one acceptance, but it's really far away from home and I don't want to go that far, but I will if it's my only option. I'm on the wait list for five schools. How about you??

Yeah you're not the only one!! I applied to 13 schools and so far I've been accepted into 3 programs, rejected from 3, waitlisted at 3, and I haven't heard anything back from the other 4 (one of which I interviewed at, the others I have not). It's a big waiting game.

Yeah you're not the only one!! I applied to 13 schools and so far I've been accepted into 3 programs, rejected from 3, waitlisted at 3, and I haven't heard anything back from the other 4 (one of which I interviewed at, the others I have not). It's a big waiting game.
I applied to 13 schools as well I'm waitlisted at two of them. Interviewed at Bellarmine and haven't heard back. I was denied at Indianapolis but other than that I haven't heard from the rest!

I
I applied to 13 schools as well I'm waitlisted at two of them. Interviewed at Bellarmine and haven't heard back. I was denied at Indianapolis but other than that I haven't heard from the rest!
interviewed at bellarmine too and I haven't heard back. They are rolling admissions though so it could be any time. Good luck to you!!

Thanks. What schools are you still waiting to hear back from?
I applied to 13 schools and I've interviewed at Bellarmine and Marshall (waitlisted) and I am waitlisted at Pitt but other than that I'm waiting for a response from the rest! How about you?