SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

wait lists are awesome

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by SB84, May 5, 2007.

  1. SB84

    SB84

    2
    0
    May 4, 2007
    Hi all,

    I am in a bit of a dilemma and thought I would post and see if there were any suggestions that any of you could provide.

    A little bit about my application woes: I applied last year to MD schools only and did not get in, this year I have applied to both MD and DO, and at the moment, I have one acceptance to Saba University (Caribbean) and two wait lists (DMU and KCOM). I have about 2.5 weeks to confirm my acceptance to Saba with a deposit.

    Right now, I would say I would prefer going to the each of the DO schools over Saba. I'm not all about the title and I feel that the osteopathic philosophy just makes more sense. Unfortunately, I don't have an acceptance yet from the DO schools, so I can't really be too picky.

    If anyone has any suggestions about what you would do if you were in my position, they would be appreciated. Thanks!
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. JasonUD

    JasonUD PGY-I 5+ Year Member

    532
    0
    Jan 22, 2006
    The Island of Long

    Pay the deposite and hold SABA. Yeah it sucks to lose $2,000 or whatever the deposit is but it would suck even more to not pay it, lose your seat, and not get off of the waitlist at the DO schools. Think of it this way, you're paying $2,000 to ensure that you will be a doctor. By the time you're done and have paid/borrowed $200,000 in tuition, what's another $2,000?
     
  4. Pansit

    Pansit 5+ Year Member

    976
    1
    Feb 14, 2007
    Pay the deposit...but i would suggest calling the two DO schools and telling them your situation and asking them the likelihood of being taken off the waitlist. If you are like 1 or 2 on the list there is a good chance of being accepted but if you are like 30 down the list then it is unlikely, try asking them and they might tell you. Good Luck:thumbup:
     
  5. polynikesdb

    polynikesdb 2+ Year Member

    48
    0
    Apr 13, 2007
    Des Moines, IO
    I say don't pay the deposit. I would suggest doing everything in your power to go to a school in the US. The Caribbean schools are going to be third tier for EVERYTHING. It will be hard to match into a residency, and everyone has always called into question the kind of education that people get in the Caribbean.

    If you really want to go DO, then wait. After I was accepted, some schools that had put me on the waiting list were calling in July, so you might be waiting a while. If you don't get in, call them back and ask them why--they will usually tell you (and you probably already know why). And then use this next year to work on your weaknesses: take post-grad classes, get an MPH, work at a hospital as a tech, etc., all while going through the application cycle again.

    It would take less money to apply one or two more times and get in to a DO school than paying the deposit for Saba. It would also take more time, but I REALLY think it would be worth it. I think paying the deposit would be a desperation decision that would only pay off in the short term.

    But hopefully you will get accepted off some of those waitlists.

    Good luck.

    P.S. I've heard of people not getting accepted until their third try. If you want it, it will happen.
     
  6. Bleurberry

    Bleurberry 5+ Year Member

    650
    1
    Jan 30, 2007

    Well said!!
     
  7. Ki45toryu

    Ki45toryu In this corner... 2+ Year Member

    243
    0
    May 7, 2007
    If you have 2.5 weeks to get back to them...wait until your waistlists pan out. DMU will work theirs out in the next week or so, and they should let you know where you stand.
     
  8. El Chupacabra

    El Chupacabra Member 7+ Year Member

    100
    0
    Aug 31, 2003
    Pardon my ignorance, but are there people actually turned down from, say Saba? I mean, if you didn't pay the deposit and then contacted them late in the summer assuming you don't get off the US waitlists, would they actually turn you away?
     
  9. puddlejumper

    puddlejumper Puddlejumper 5+ Year Member

    25
    0
    Jan 20, 2005
    Maybe it's not your ignorance showing, perhaps it's your lack of tact or respect.
     
  10. puddlejumper

    puddlejumper Puddlejumper 5+ Year Member

    25
    0
    Jan 20, 2005
    Someone in my class didn't get an acceptance to DMU until August. I've heard they'll tell you where you are on the list, but that's hard to translate into whether or not you'll get the call.
     
  11. El Chupacabra

    El Chupacabra Member 7+ Year Member

    100
    0
    Aug 31, 2003
    Honey, is that you?
     
  12. digital01

    digital01 2+ Year Member

    198
    0
    Dec 4, 2006
    I originally applied for a carib school as a way backup, and I decided during the interview that there was no way I was going even if I didn't get in to a US school, it just wasn't for me. Anyways, I did get accepted and I hadn't officially turned down my acceptance until this week when the guy called me to ask me if I was coming( I honestly forgot until he called, oops!). But, there were deposits due prior to this that I did NOT pay, just food for thought. If you have to start this year then go ahead and pay, if you aren't sure whether or not you'd do carib then maybe just play the game?
     
  13. Lamborghini1315

    Lamborghini1315 Sleep deprived 7+ Year Member

    918
    1
    Jun 7, 2006
    just wait:)
     

Similar Threads
  1. Omegadramon
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,140
  2. bbs11
    Replies:
    32
    Views:
    9,238
  3. pubicsymphysis
    Replies:
    201
    Views:
    47,414
  4. Gopher3

    General Admissions & OTCAS Wait lists

    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,174
  5. niv3k
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    640
Loading...

Share This Page