wait lists are awesome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and thought I would post and see if there were any suggestions that any of you could provide.

A little bit about my application woes: I applied last year to MD schools only and did not get in, this year I have applied to both MD and DO, and at the moment, I have one acceptance to Saba University (Caribbean) and two wait lists (DMU and KCOM). I have about 2.5 weeks to confirm my acceptance to Saba with a deposit.

Right now, I would say I would prefer going to the each of the DO schools over Saba. I'm not all about the title and I feel that the osteopathic philosophy just makes more sense. Unfortunately, I don't have an acceptance yet from the DO schools, so I can't really be too picky.

If anyone has any suggestions about what you would do if you were in my position, they would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and thought I would post and see if there were any suggestions that any of you could provide.

A little bit about my application woes: I applied last year to MD schools only and did not get in, this year I have applied to both MD and DO, and at the moment, I have one acceptance to Saba University (Caribbean) and two wait lists (DMU and KCOM). I have about 2.5 weeks to confirm my acceptance to Saba with a deposit.

Right now, I would say I would prefer going to the each of the DO schools over Saba. I'm not all about the title and I feel that the osteopathic philosophy just makes more sense. Unfortunately, I don't have an acceptance yet from the DO schools, so I can't really be too picky.

If anyone has any suggestions about what you would do if you were in my position, they would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pay the deposite and hold SABA. Yeah it sucks to lose $2,000 or whatever the deposit is but it would suck even more to not pay it, lose your seat, and not get off of the waitlist at the DO schools. Think of it this way, you're paying $2,000 to ensure that you will be a doctor. By the time you're done and have paid/borrowed $200,000 in tuition, what's another $2,000?

Pay the deposite and hold SABA. Yeah it sucks to lose $2,000 or whatever the deposit is but it would suck even more to not pay it, lose your seat, and not get off of the waitlist at the DO schools. Think of it this way, you're paying $2,000 to ensure that you will be a doctor. By the time you're done and have paid/borrowed $200,000 in tuition, what's another $2,000?

Pay the deposit...but i would suggest calling the two DO schools and telling them your situation and asking them the likelihood of being taken off the waitlist. If you are like 1 or 2 on the list there is a good chance of being accepted but if you are like 30 down the list then it is unlikely, try asking them and they might tell you. Good Luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I say don't pay the deposit. I would suggest doing everything in your power to go to a school in the US. The Caribbean schools are going to be third tier for EVERYTHING. It will be hard to match into a residency, and everyone has always called into question the kind of education that people get in the Caribbean.

If you really want to go DO, then wait. After I was accepted, some schools that had put me on the waiting list were calling in July, so you might be waiting a while. If you don't get in, call them back and ask them why--they will usually tell you (and you probably already know why). And then use this next year to work on your weaknesses: take post-grad classes, get an MPH, work at a hospital as a tech, etc., all while going through the application cycle again.

It would take less money to apply one or two more times and get in to a DO school than paying the deposit for Saba. It would also take more time, but I REALLY think it would be worth it. I think paying the deposit would be a desperation decision that would only pay off in the short term.

But hopefully you will get accepted off some of those waitlists.

Good luck.

P.S. I've heard of people not getting accepted until their third try. If you want it, it will happen.

I say don't pay the deposit. I would suggest doing everything in your power to go to a school in the US. The Caribbean schools are going to be third tier for EVERYTHING. It will be hard to match into a residency, and everyone has always called into question the kind of education that people get in the Caribbean.

If you really want to go DO, then wait. After I was accepted, some schools that had put me on the waiting list were calling in July, so you might be waiting a while. If you don't get in, call them back and ask them why--they will usually tell you (and you probably already know why). And then use this next year to work on your weaknesses: take post-grad classes, get an MPH, work at a hospital as a tech, etc., all while going through the application cycle again.

It would take less money to apply one or two more times and get in to a DO school than paying the deposit for Saba. It would also take more time, but I REALLY think it would be worth it. I think paying the deposit would be a desperation decision that would only pay off in the short term.

But hopefully you will get accepted off some of those waitlists.

Good luck.

P.S. I've heard of people not getting accepted until their third try. If you want it, it will happen.

Well said!!

If you have 2.5 weeks to get back to them...wait until your waistlists pan out. DMU will work theirs out in the next week or so, and they should let you know where you stand.

Pardon my ignorance, but are there people actually turned down from, say Saba? I mean, if you didn't pay the deposit and then contacted them late in the summer assuming you don't get off the US waitlists, would they actually turn you away?

Pardon my ignorance, but are there people actually turned down from, say Saba? I mean, if you didn't pay the deposit and then contacted them late in the summer assuming you don't get off the US waitlists, would they actually turn you away?

Maybe it's not your ignorance showing, perhaps it's your lack of tact or respect.

Hi all,

Someone in my class didn't get an acceptance to DMU until August. I've heard they'll tell you where you are on the list, but that's hard to translate into whether or not you'll get the call.

I originally applied for a carib school as a way backup, and I decided during the interview that there was no way I was going even if I didn't get in to a US school, it just wasn't for me. Anyways, I did get accepted and I hadn't officially turned down my acceptance until this week when the guy called me to ask me if I was coming( I honestly forgot until he called, oops!). But, there were deposits due prior to this that I did NOT pay, just food for thought. If you have to start this year then go ahead and pay, if you aren't sure whether or not you'd do carib then maybe just play the game?

Hi all,

just wait:)