Waiting Another Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldawg04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so Ive got a few more schools that I have to hear back from still, and I dont kno how good my chances are at this point. What should I plan to do if I dont happen to get accepted anywhere this year? I didnt finish my degree as it wasnt required and i didnt wanna lower my gpa with hard upper level sciences.

I've already gotten a years worth of experience with retail, and need to raise my PCAT score as well....any advice/opinions/input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Funny, I'd see taking more classes as an opportunity to improve my GPA.

Maybe go to school part time, try and get good grades to improve your GPA, work part time and devote some time to studying for the PCAT. And if you still don't get in, finish your degree and take it from there. Good Luck:)

Pursue any and all means to improve your application. Complete your degree, involve yourself in ECs, lock on excellent LORs, improve your GPA, etc.

I would contact each program to learn of your current status. If you were not accepted, I would ask where your weaknesses were. Then I would use those weaknesses as a focus for this upcoming year.

Good luck

~above~

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion I think you should be trying to finish your B.S in the process of applying. I don't mean you should obtain a B.S before you apply, just that you should continue working towards it. For example, you applied this year and it didn't work out. Lets say you stop taking classes all together and the same thing happens again next year, and then maybe the following year. By then you could have had a B.S, and had more job options available to you to keep you financed during any future application cycles. Not to mention it would make you more competitive too. Thats just my two cents though, cause if I were to be taking time off from school to apply and realized two application cycles later that I could have obtained another degree instead of just working during that time, then I'd be like "son of a...." Of course, if you know for absolute sure that you will get in next year then heck, the less work you have to do the better right? It's getting more competitive though so my suggestion is just to take advantage of the time you have in the event that the above mentioned worst case scenario happens. Goodluck with this cycle though. It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

do SOMETHING SOON!...

pharmcas starts up again in about 20 days. admcoms like to see that youre improving your app between application cycles.

Take the upper level classes u need to finish your degree and if u don't want it to affect ur grades too much then take some easy classes as well which will cost u but hey it's ur future.

If you don't think you will do well in upper division bio classes, what makes you think you will do well in pharmacy school? I agree with the others, I would make use of the time and finish the degree, or at least get closer to finishing. If you don't get in next year, you didn't waste a year because you will be able to completely finish.

Well its not that i think i wont do well in them, but im not certain one way or the other and already havin a lower gpa i would almost certainly need A's is a good majority of them in order to raise the gpa. Also, in regards to references, how should i go about asking for new ones again? Is it smart to ask the same professors again or try to find others if possible?

In terms of the letters, you are going to have to re-analyze the relationship you had with your previous LOR providers. If these were just professors you had for a course I would highly consider replacing them. Unless of course you actually got to know the professor and you are positive that they can write about your personality and attributes (aka not just say you got an A in their class) then you are ok. Definitely get an LOR from a pharmacist though, so if this means you need to go be a volunteer or get a clerk/tech job, make sure you do that as soon as possible. I guess the bottom line is to get LOR's from people you built a relationship with, that way their letter will be all-telling and not just a generic bland letter.

do SOMETHING SOON!...

pharmcas starts up again in about 20 days. admcoms like to see that youre improving your app between application cycles.

i know pharmcas starts up so soon!! i'm excited & nervous...:laugh:

pharmacist letter is not a problem, ive got a pharmacy job for over a year now, im just worried about gettin new letters from professors, I am practically graduated. Im just missing some upper level courses and havent talked to many of my professors all that much lol

pharmacist letter is not a problem, ive got a pharmacy job for over a year now, im just worried about gettin new letters from professors, I am practically graduated. Im just missing some upper level courses and havent talked to many of my professors all that much lol

I'm in the same boat. I could give them great LORs from 8 pharmacists, but when it comes to the professors, none. I don't think i've had any prof. for more than a semester and even though I did well and they seemed to like me, the letters would probaly be bland. Sadly, more schools require a letter from a professor than a letter from a pharmacist.

I'm in the same boat. I could give them great LORs from 8 pharmacists, but when it comes to the professors, none. I don't think i've had any prof. for more than a semester and even though I did well and they seemed to like me, the letters would probaly be bland. Sadly, more schools require a letter from a professor than a letter from a pharmacist.
Did any of your high school teachers also teach college courses? It's a stretch, but it might work.