Waiting for non-rolling schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kazema said:
I think my neuroticism just hit about a 9.5.
so what's your baseline? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

superdevil said:
so what's your baseline? :laugh:

9.1, but a steady 9.1 I'm happy being a 9.1 neuroticism kind of guy. This 0.4 increase isn't sitting well with me. I blame society.

Tristy said:
When did you guys interview at UPitt?

ok i got that email today too. it is related to applying for a scholarship for those who want to go into academic medicine. and if anyone wants to know, i interviewed at UPitt in mid September.

Members don't see this ad :)
To all of you who got the Pitt email today, please don't apply for the scholarship. There's no way in heck my application will cut it, despite what Pitt says, and I really really want it. So my only hope is to be the only applicant. Pretty please?

I got the email about the scholarship like a month ago. I actually thought it was sent out to all applicants, and that it wasn't anything special or anything.

krelian said:
I got the email about the scholarship like a month ago. I actually thought it was sent out to all applicants, and that it wasn't anything special or anything.

yeah, i think that one was sent to all applicants who interviewed. but another one was sent out yesterday.

CalGoldenBear said:
yeah, i think that one was sent to all applicants who interviewed. but another one was sent out yesterday.

Yeap, got the financial aid e-mail too. Are we suppossed to hear back from Pitt in the first or second week of March? This is killing me.... :confused:

Ok, so I'm being a little bit neurotic over this, but has anybody tried to call UPitt and get info over the phone about acceptances/rejections? This waiting suxs :(

kikkoman said:
Mid-october. Mine was kind of related to the academic medicine scholarship thing, so maybe that's the link.

i got this too... one about acadmeic medicine a month ago ro so and then some other email that i just glanced over lastnight... so everyone didnt get this email? i will have to goback and read it more carefully.... hmmm

I think everyone who interviewed got the email yesterday.

"This email is being sent to all applicants who have been invited to
interview at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Receipt of
this email in no way suggests a future offer of admission."

So there was a different email sent out recently to a few other people, it sounds like.

UMichigan has its fleeces. Pitt has its "special" emails. I got the email, but where's my danged fleece?

I think it's neat the efforts adcoms take to recruit us. They probably have a adcom.net web site where they obsess about where their top candidates are going.

liverotcod said:
I think it's neat the efforts adcoms take to recruit us. They probably have a adcom.net web site where they obsess about where their top candidates are going.

Either that, or they could fulfill our worst fears expressed on the "what to wear" threads by analyzing and/or ridiculing what we wore to interview days!

School A: OMG, this girl came in wearing a black suit and a RED shell.
School B: What a harlot.
School C: I will hug the first kid I see tomorrow who isn't wearing a black suit.

UPitt is seriously messing with our minds. I finally got the same email that seethrew received. The email basically let the cat out of the bag regarding my chances for admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
liverotcod said:
adcom.net....a scary, yet very real possibility. thread titles likely include "cheesiest personal statements ever", "**OFFICIAL 2005 ugliest student thread**", and many more.

krelian said:
UPitt is seriously messing with our minds. I finally got the same email that seethrew received. The email basically let the cat out of the bag regarding my chances for admissions.

Congrats for you!!! As for me...yikes! :eek: I'll keep furiously checking my e-mail 30 times a day, every day, until March, hehe.
Thanks for all the responses!

Krelian and Seethrew-
Did the e-mail pertain to the academic medicine scholarship or something else? If it was the academic scholarship, when did you guys submit your letter/essay? thanks

krelian said:
Did you already apply for the academic scholarship?

boardchic said:
Did you already apply for the academic scholarship?
I haven't applied for the scholarship yet. The email basically said that I should really consider applying for the scholarship.

anyhow, it seems like this thread has been hijacked into a "What will Upitt email us next" thread :rolleyes:

I am willing to bet that Pitt sent the latest teaser email (the one about the scholarship and the "you're in" hint) to everyone they are offering to in March. Any takers?

liverotcod said:
I am willing to bet that Pitt sent the latest teaser email (the one about the scholarship and the "you're in" hint) to everyone they are offering to in March. Any takers?

I wish you were right, although I got the scholarship one but not the other one...I wonder if they are having fun while messing with us.....jeez....

krelian said:

Well, a source of mine at pitt told me they haven't even met yet to discuss applicants- to talley points, so it is very unlikely that any of this could be true. They are meeting this coming week. They make a decision as group- not just one person. :p

RunMimi said:
Waiting (not for Pitt ;) ) is making me nuts! I've been so distracted recently!

me too!! and according to my mom, my dad is also going nuts with worry about the coming weeks. he really doesn't want me to go far from home and apparently is pacing nervously around the house, thinking about how he really hopes harvard or yale will take me.

CarleneM said:
me too!! and according to my mom, my dad is also going nuts with worry about the coming weeks. he really doesn't want me to go far from home and apparently is pacing nervously around the house, thinking about how he really hopes harvard or yale will take me.

I predict both will accept you.

GuyLaroche said:
I predict both will accept you.

I hope you are right! At this point, i'm having a lot of trouble grasping that i have no more interviews to go on and decisions that months ago seemed eons away are now fast approaching. I don't know what i'll do with myself when i no longer have to rush home to check my mailbox or frantically check sdn to see the acceptances/rejections/interviews du jour.

yea, i'm getting tired of the waiting game also. it's a good thing those countdown threads haven't started appearing yet, because they would only make us SDN'ers more neurotic.

RunMimi said:
So a friend of mine that applied two years ago said some of his highly competetive friends heard back early from some non-rolling schools, incuding UPenn. Has anyone else heard this rumor?
Have not heard this rumor...I wish they would just tell us so that we could move on! ;)

well, things are at least coming into focus. i suppose i'll hear from northwestern this week or early next week (not that i care anymore). and i suppose pitt will be late next week or the week after that (again don't care--i interviewed at these damn school in september...6 months ago!). :rolleyes:

but, what gets my panties in a twist, is that i still have to wait a full friggin' month for my forthcoming waitlist letter from yale ( :D ) and probably that long to hear from washu, too (since i interviewed so damn late and i have absolutely zero understanding of how they run their admissions/how long it takes to hear back from them). :(

when people ask me where i'm going for medical school (which only occurs about 10 times a day), i wish i had a tape recorder to play them the wailing of nancy kerrigan ("why, why, why (violent sobbing), why?!?!") after those thugs whacked her knee.

RunMimi said:
Per my morning phone conversations:

Harvard: between first and second week of March--all letters from HMS (even HST ones)
Penn: mid March, no additonal info
Darthmouth: end of March
Baylor: very very vague Marrchish?
btw, mimi, everything you've posted indicated that you weren't exactly sold on going to dartmouth. have you softened your position, or were you just curious?

Do you suppose it's possible to receive an acceptance from Harvard even if they didn't interview me?

liverotcod said:
Do you suppose it's possible to receive an acceptance from Harvard even if they didn't interview me?

I don't think so. If you happen to, then you should feel really, really special. It would mean they didn't have to bother checking you out in person.

liverotcod said:
:laugh: of course...but what if we didn't even apply?

Does anyone know if they're all going to be by snail mail? or phone calls?

superdevil said:
:laugh: of course...but what if we didn't even apply?
I think not applying would have helped my chances, actually. Then they wouldn't have known my GPA.

liverotcod said:
I think not applying would have helped my chances, actually. Then they wouldn't have known my GPA.

Haha. On a related note, i've recently changed my mind about the numerous schools that I have yet to receive a word from after I sent in my secondary sometime last summer: rather than the rejection letter with the dean's computer generated signature maybe its better that I never hear from them. Think about it, this way we can both pretend my application never happened . . . we both save face.

sunsweet said:
Does anyone know if they're all going to be by snail mail? or phone calls?

my "Friends" said "he" thinks it will be an email for acceptances... but he wasn't 100% sure

fun8stuff said:
my "Friends" said "he" thinks it will be an email for acceptances... but he wasn't 100% sure

fun8stuff, are you talking about Pitt?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know the notification date from Cornell? I know it's sometime in march, but I was wondering if there was a specific date, or if they'll just do it whenever they feel like it.
thanks

superdevil said:
when people ask me where i'm going for medical school (which only occurs about 10 times a day), i wish i had a tape recorder to play them the wailing of nancy kerrigan ("why, why, why (violent sobbing), why?!?!") after those thugs whacked her knee.
:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, I feel bad having to explain to people how I won't know for at least another month, or possibly (if I get waitlisted at a top choice) another three or four months. People don't seem to comprehend how the process could be so long, how you could be receiving acceptances and rejections from October through July... and actually, I can't blame them for their lack of comprehension. It's an absurd process.

If there's anything I've learned, it's that apathy is one's best friend...

leechy said:
:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, I feel bad having to explain to people how I won't know for at least another month, or possibly (if I get waitlisted at a top choice) another three or four months. People don't seem to comprehend how the process could be so long, how you could be receiving acceptances and rejections from October through July... and actually, I can't blame them for their lack of comprehension. It's an absurd process.

If there's anything I've learned, it's that apathy is one's best friend...

I am totally with you! The other day I flipped out after a friend asked me: "Any news?"
"If there were any news I would have told, so stop asking."

I probably sounded crazy, :)

This is the greatest support group in the universe!

I get asked for news every quarter hour by some friend or other. I'm always telling them that if there had been news, I'd be so positively effervescent they'd be able to tell simply by looking at me. It's a right bugger of a situation...

waiting.

I don't think that the ambiguity of the phrase
"the first week of March",
(ie. the week march starts, or the first full week of march)
has ever really occurred to me before.

seriously. talk about march madness. :D

fun8stuff said:
yes, pitt

or phone call from your student interviewer, latest word could be that it is delayed a couple weeks.. they couldnt get through all the apps

dear non-rolling schools,

it is now march.
for the sake of my sanity--
please tell me your decisions now.
i prefer e-mail to snail mail.
i prefer acceptances to rejections.

thank you,
leaft