Waiting upon Interview Invite/Denial. Should I email Universities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMan14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been some time since my file has been complete for the Universities at which I applied, and I have thus for the past month been expecting either invites or denials. However I have heard no word. Would it be advisable to email these Universities or will this lesson my chances upon acceptance due to possible aggravation?

Members don't see this ad.

When were you complete? What schools did you apply to? What state are you a resident of? What are your GPA/MCAT stats? What do your EC's and clinical experience look like? Have you done anything worth updating the school about since you applied?

These are all things we need to know to give you a more accurate answer. Help us help you.

Ursa I trust your judgment, however do my GPA/MCAT rankings and statistics truly matter in the case of whether or not I should send an email inquiring about my status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the app completion notificaiton e-mail they sent. If it explicitly states that you be patient, there is no sense in annoying them. If you have been complete for only a month, you will have to wait longer. And, your stats do matter b/c if you have like 3.6 & 28 (hypothetically), then you pretty much know that silence from Wash U is a rejection since its a reach school for you. But, silence from like U of PuertoRico (no offense) just means they haven't reviewed your app yet though it is complete.

Check the app completion notificaiton e-mail they sent. If it explicitly states that you be patient, there is no sense in annoying them. If you have been complete for only a month, you will have to wait longer. And, your stats do matter b/c if you have like 3.6 & 28 (hypothetically), then you pretty much know that silence from Wash U is a rejection since its a reach school for you. But, silence from like U of PuertoRico (no offense) just means they haven't reviewed your app yet though it is complete.

Still, I don't think that shows that your stats matter. Lets say stats are less competitive, what is the harm in shooting off an email anyways (provided that your first point is satisfied that the school does not say to be patient), in fact it may actually do more good since the school may be very receptive to it and invite you to an interview.

I don't think under any circumstances would it hurt to send an email provided that you aren't spamming them. And, I think it is a plus to never assume that you've been accepted or rejected until you see the words for yourself.

I feel like that last part isn't necessarily true. I have fairly good stats and I'm pretty sure schools that haven't contacted me yet simply aren't going to (although I was complete at most by August so they've had a lot of time).