Waitlist and May 15 deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diocletian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not really getting how this works. Let's say an applicant gets into school A but gets waitlisted by school B. Obviously by May 15, he'll be locked into school A.

But let's say that school B comes back on May 20 and offers him acceptance. Can he take it, or does he have to turn it down because May 15 has passed and he's already committed to school A?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm not really getting how this works. Let's say an applicant gets into school A but gets waitlisted by school B. Obviously by May 15, he'll be locked into school A.

But let's say that school B comes back on May 20 and offers him acceptance. Can he take it, or does he have to turn it down because May 15 has passed and he's already committed to school A?

He can take the waitlist spot but must drop the other acceptance upon doing so.

Basically, if you are holding multiple acceptances, the May 15 deadline is the date by which you must drop all of them except one. You can stay on as many wait lists as you want. I'm not on any wait lists, so I haven't really researched how that works, but this is what I have understood from SDN:

If one of your wait list schools accepts you after May 15, they will give you a set time frame within which you must make your decision. From what I have heard, this period is usually around 2 weeks early in the wait list season, but will get shorter as time goes on since they need to have enough time to offer the spot to someone else if you decline.

Once you attend class or orientation activities at one school, then you have to withdraw from all other schools (although I have read on here about people who have been accepted in the first week or two of class and arrive after things have already begun - not sure how that happens).

Again, I'm not positive about whether this is how acceptances after May 15 work, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.