Waitlist dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So far I've been waitlisted by three schools and still waiting to hear back from more. Lately, I've been feeling bummed out since I got waitlisted, not accepted yet. Of course, being waitlisted is not a bad thing at all and it's better than a rejection. But, part of me feels like PT schools don't see me as good enough for them and I'm scared that I won't get in. I've been emailing schools about what can I improve on and what spot am I on the list, so far no one hasn't respond to me at all. The anxiety is killing me.

How you guys deal with being waitlisted without going crazy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same boat. I was waitlisted by three schools, which are my top choices, and accepted by two other programs. Feeling no hope now, may be I will re apply next year.............

Same boat. I was waitlisted by three schools, which are my top choices, and accepted by two other programs. Feeling no hope now, may be I will re apply next year.............
If you were accepted by two programs you applied to, why not go to one of them? Did you discover they were unacceptable after visiting?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you were accepted by two programs you applied to, why not go to one of them? Did you discover they were unacceptable after visiting?

The program is really good, but I found the location is a little bit inconvenient. So I am considering it now.

The program is really good, but I found the location is a little bit inconvenient. So I am considering it now.
That's fair- just make sure you consider an additional year of living expenses before your PT salary starts in your calculations. It's almost always a better deal to go earlier even if the school is more expensive or inconvenient for most of us. Just something to put on the list.

Unfortunately, you just have to sit and wait. Don/t bug schools too much. It's ok to ask them what's going on, etc, but do not do it more than once or twice. I heard back from a school that waitlisted me about 3 months after the interview. If they did think you were not good enough for them, they would have rejected you. If they waitlisted you, they do think you are a good fit for them.

Has anyone did something to improve their application while waiting? I’m thinking about studying for the GRE again since it’s a pretty low to have a better chance plus retake some classes. I want to be productive and reapply if I don’t get in this year.

I'm on the same boat right now. Second time applying here. I'm currently waitlisted at one school out of all schools I applied to. Prior to applying for the second time, I took the time to retake my pre-req courses. I even took on new volunteer opportunities (I'm a Wish Granter for Make-A-Wish), which helped me develop skills that would benefit me as a physical therapist. Since I know there's a chance I may not get in this cycle, I'm taking the time to study for the GRE. I haven't signed up to take it yet since there's still some hope that I may get pulled off from the list haha.
Has anyone did something to improve their application while waiting? I’m thinking about studying for the GRE again since it’s a pretty low to have a better chance plus retake some classes. I want to be productive and reapply if I don’t get in this year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

me too. T_T.. struggle is real man. its my first time applying and i've got wait-listed at two.. and one of them is my top choice.
i'm so grateful that I didn't get rejected but at same time I feel so sad. everyday feels like a year fr..
sigh, srs I really wanna get in already :0000

me too. T_T.. struggle is real man. its my first time applying and i've got wait-listed at two.. and one of them is my top choice.
i'm so grateful that I didn't get rejected but at same time I feel so sad. everyday feels like a year fr..
sigh, srs I really wanna get in already :0000

So struggle.... who can save me, just an offer from my dream school.....

Update:

I found out I got rejected from PCOM-Georgia campus a week after my interview. I know rejections happen, but not like this. I thought I did well in my interview and felt like they liked me. I emailed the chair and the admissions office to see what I need to improve on for the next cycle, but this hurts so bad.

Waiting is stressful, for sure. I suspect it’s easy to become despondent or lose hope. I encourage you to remember that being on the waitlist means the program views you as someone who they can see as being successful in their program. Yes, they might favor someone else with better/different credentials, but you remain someone they will admit if/when a spot opens up.

This is the important part - SPOTS WILL OPEN UP in many, many programs. As applicants get admitted to additional schools, they forfeit deposits at their existing programs, which in turn opens up spots for those on the waitlist. This will happen again, and again, and again. In fact, my son came off waitlists and was accepted into multiple programs in APRIL of his admission year. Said another way, he was admitted to 3x more programs in March/April than in Nov-January.

While making contingency plans is prudent, don’t give up hope. After watching this process for years and accumulating significant anecdotal evidence, I’m convinced “the big churn” of dpt waitlist openings hasn’t yet begun.

Reactions: 6 users
Not to sound jealous, but I would be grateful that you made the waitlist, and you can always reapply and strengthen your application. I got rejected from 4 of my 5 applications because my school is on the quarter system instead of the semester system so the number of prereqs I have in progress are mismatched (example: I need a year of physics so I can have one more class in progress at time of application, but I technically have two because a year of physics for me consists of fall, winter and spring quarter). So I didn't really get a chance. Also, just because you got on the waitlist does not mean that you aren't going to get in, you still have a chance this year. Worst comes to worst you can reapply next year after adding something to your resume like getting involved in the community or so many other things. Go to talk to a mentor as they might also help you to cope with rejection because it does hurt. Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No need to improve anything at this point since you have already passed deadlines. Start improving when you are 100% confident you do not get anywhere. You can register for classes for fall/summer now to improve your stats, but make sure you can cancel/avoid paying for those classes in case you do get accepted to PT school.

Has anyone gotten good news lately? Or are we all in waitlist hell still

I'm mostly in waitlist hell. I got one "we filled all our class" email from a school, but thats it. Still waiting on 3 waitlists...

I'm mostly in waitlist hell. I got one "we filled all our class" email from a school, but thats it. Still waiting on 3 waitlists...
It's so frustrating just waiting every day

I'm sure it's not incredibly helpful to hear "just don't worry about it" from people who have their acceptance already, but maybe there are some other thoughts you could try having. By that I mean, rather than "What if I don't get in?" or "I'm so worried I won't be accepted," you could try thinking something like, "I did the best I could and have controlled what I can this year," or "Some people hear from a school only a few days before class starts," or even, "Some people reapply several times and turn out to be fantastic PTs."

I realize those aren't super inspirational quotes or anything, but they are believable thoughts that might feel better than, "Oh my god, am I going to get in?" or "Maybe they just emailed me 3 minutes ago; I'd better check," every few minutes. Focusing on those thoughts breeds and heightens anxiety, while focusing on the other thoughts can give you a little bit of relief. I wouldn't go with anything super positive like, "I'm going to get into all the rest of the schools on full scholarships and be the top performer there without even studying" because you're not going to believe it. In order for the thoughts to help, they have to be believable. I wish you all the best of luck.

I'm sure it's not incredibly helpful to hear "just don't worry about it" from people who have their acceptance already, but maybe there are some other thoughts you could try having. By that I mean, rather than "What if I don't get in?" or "I'm so worried I won't be accepted," you could try thinking something like, "I did the best I could and have controlled what I can this year," or "Some people hear from a school only a few days before class starts," or even, "Some people reapply several times and turn out to be fantastic PTs."

I realize those aren't super inspirational quotes or anything, but they are believable thoughts that might feel better than, "Oh my god, am I going to get in?" or "Maybe they just emailed me 3 minutes ago; I'd better check," every few minutes. Focusing on those thoughts breeds and heightens anxiety, while focusing on the other thoughts can give you a little bit of relief. I wouldn't go with anything super positive like, "I'm going to get into all the rest of the schools on full scholarships and be the top performer there without even studying" because you're not going to believe it. In order for the thoughts to help, they have to be believable. I wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks!! I already have one acceptance thankfully in the bag, but one of my waitlist schools could change my possible final destination. The waitlist school starts in late May while my accepted school starts in August. Thankfully, I can keep waiting for a while, I am just not the most patient person alive haha

Get off waitlist from Northwestern the day before yesterday.

Has anyone experienced any waitlist movement?
I applied to over 15 schools way back in July got 6 interviews and wait listed at 8 schools and didn't get any acceptances ..Until late February thru late April I got 2 acceptances then got pulled off 5 wait lists!! The waiting game is torture but is definitely hope to get pulled of wait lists close to the end of your programs start dates !! I choose a school I got pulled off there wait list less then a month from there start date and started my Dpt program May 18!..wishing everyone the best of luck