waitlist movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d1988b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the typical amount of movement of MSTP waitlist during the year? If a person holds what the program deems a "competitive spot" on the waitlist, what are the odds of being offered admission? There are some existing threads for this topic but contextually they were aimed at different discussions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call the school to find out based on their past experience. No one can say for sure and it definitely depends on the school. This post was probably not helpful at all...sorry, but I'm in the same situation as you, and I'm going to call.

How would your response change for Top20 schools versus schools below Top20? I'd figure for anyone reading this that would be a good cut-off.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies a lot by school and by year, but it is fair to say there is "a lot" of movement right at the end.

Is it correct that after April 30 you can only hold 1 acceptance, but you can hold as many waitlist offers as possible? Then if you're accepted off that waitlist I guess you need to make a decision within a few days?

Hey all,

Does anyone know what the chances are (at least historically) of getting accepted to UNC MSTP from the waitlist? I really don't know where I stand on the waitlist...do they rank it? Also, I heard that there's an "alternate short list" which I assume is above the waitlist....

when/how did you hear that you got waitlisted at unc? I still have not heard anything from them

So, how are other waitlistees doing? any others out there with a plethora of waitlists and no acceptances yet?? It is going to be a long April is all I know...

Is it correct that after April 30 you can only hold 1 acceptance, but you can hold as many waitlist offers as possible? Then if you're accepted off that waitlist I guess you need to make a decision within a few days?
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62826/policies_admissionofficers.html

Relevant section:
6. After May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for MD-PhD programs, each school or program implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs. These procedures:

a. May require applicants to:

1. Respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks.

2. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.​

b. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.

c. Should permit accepted applicants to remain on other schools' or programs' waiting lists and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer from a preferred school or program.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62820/policies_applicants.html

Relevant section:
9. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for MD-PhD programs, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program choose the specific school or program at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools or programs from which acceptance offers have been received.​

tl;dr: yes, and potentially yes